Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades batwing on fxst...anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsshane
So do I! But I guess where I was really going was not the Heritage / Fatboy / Deluxe transformations - But the FX skinny tire etc, bikes.. I love those bikes - One of reasons I can't sell my 2001 FXSTS - But I put a windshield on that bike for about 20 minutes, once, and it was the goofiest thing ever!! It was an FX....not a FL....But like you said it's a continuing trip down what we like.
I agree. I'd love to ask the designers of some of the H-D models how they thought a particular model would be customized once it hit the market. A fairing on a FX? Doubt it. Safety bars on a Breakout? No way. WGs with mini fairings? Uh uh. I'm willing to bet the designers of the Fat Boy didn't have safety bars & windshields in mind on their stripped down cruiser, but like you said, the FLs do lend themselves to those types of accessories. Case in point, that Heritage with the fairing & hardbags looks great.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:42 PM
2007fxstc
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I love mine

Originally Posted by fxstmaybe
New to the Harley world. Sold my Victory Vegas and could not stand that I no longer had a motorcycle. Bought an 02 fxst yesterday and rode it 50 miles home. Not bad. Question though, was going to put a Memphis Shades batwing on the Vegas before I sold it. Their web site list the parts for the Vegas. Cannot find the listing for the fxst. Seems they would be the same since they are both exposed forks and the mounts just wrap around the forks. Anyway, has anyone tried this on the fx models?
I had one on my 08 dyna and moved it over to my 07 fxstc I'm nice and warm now, got it thru j&p part# 752-332 this fit both bikes the clamps in the dyna mounting kit fit the HD inverted forks on my fxstc so all I did was order the plate only kit part# 751-564.

During the summer I use a windvest tombstone mounted to my bars but I need ear plugs at freeway speeds, it does keep the wind off my chest the BW is very quite. And will look great after I have some hydro graphics done on it. Hope this helps you. I would post pictures but to old school to figure it out. But would email pictures if you want.

Last edited by 2007fxstc; 11-25-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 PM
05softailnc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Memphis Shades batwing on my '05 FXST and eventually put hard bags on after my soft bags got worn. I liked it a lot, but it does need the lower wind deflectors (also from Memphis Shades) to prevent helmet buffeting. I got nothing but positive comments on it. I can't count how many times I was asked about where to get one. I could pop the wing and bags off in a jiffy and ride stock if I wanted to. I rarely did. Memphis shades makes the batwing and mounts (as well as windshields) for the FXST (along with many other bikes) and a lot of places stock them so there must be a demand, right?

To the poster who wonders about why other people modify their bikes: People buy what they like and can afford at the time. Sometimes likes and needs change. Maybe we can't buy a new bike at the time, but customization can get us closer to what we want. Hence the custom parts market.

That said, I did eventually get a Street Glide once I figured out that was the bike for me and I could swing the cost.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:35 PM
2007fxstc
Tourer

Same batwing on my last and current bike.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

2007fxstc, those are two very nice looking bikes! The first thought that went through my mind was that both bikes looked better than I envisioned them. 2nd thought was they still didn't look right to me. The important point is "to me". They're your bikes & if you're happy with them, that's what's important. I don't like any fairings on any bikes, so I shouldn't knock those who put one on a FX. I have to admit, the more I look at those pictures, the better they look Nice job & Ride Safe!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:12 AM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

2007fxstc, what front turn signal setup is that?

Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM
2007fxstc
Tourer

Add a windvest tombstone to the handlebars and that's how it rolls during Tha summer. The BW does grow on you, I am waiting now for the temperature to break freezing and the BW will make the ride today bearable. Black Friday weekend sales! LOL

The front turn signals are made by Pro One products. That's to answer Heading Lamar question.