Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti gravity batteries question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:44 AM
Jokerz08
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anti gravity batteries question

Has anyone used the antigravity restart battery in their bike?
I currently have a napa legend premium in my bike. going on 3 years with this battery so looking for another one for next year.
saw this battery on dennis kirk website and like the idea of the restart button in case your battery dies. And the fact that it has double posts for positive and negative so I can run my amp off its own posts.
but are these good batteries? Anyone know of the pros and cons of these batteries?
also for those that have used this battery does the battery tender junior work on these or will I need to get a different one for it?
thanks

Old 10-26-2021, 08:24 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Jokerz08
Has anyone used the antigravity restart battery in their bike?
I currently have a napa legend premium in my bike. going on 3 years with this battery so looking for another one for next year.
saw this battery on dennis kirk website and like the idea of the restart button in case your battery dies. And the fact that it has double posts for positive and negative so I can run my amp off its own posts.
but are these good batteries? Anyone know of the pros and cons of these batteries?
also for those that have used this battery does the battery tender junior work on these or will I need to get a different one for it?
thanks

I don't have an Antigravity Battery. I have been interested in the technology and have been reading about it for several years.

On another forum I frequent, Harleytechtalk (just add ".com"), there have been several threads on lithium batteries, and on the Antigravity restart battery.

Those that have one really like it. There are a lot of positive comments about the antigravity batteries, their BMS (battery management systems), and specifically their restart technology.

Many who have one say they no longer use a battery tender, but those that do say you need a special battery charger/tender with a specific profile needed by lithium batteries..

You can over to HTT, search, and read the threads for yourself.

Hope that helps...

Old 10-26-2021, 08:56 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I have herd lots of good coments about them. For me the cost. I don't changing my battery every three years. Lets see how long the anti gravity lasts I just don't know.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:05 AM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,817 Likes on 6,368 Posts

Don't know much about the brand of battery, but from the research I did when I was looking at lithium battery replacements, most say the standard trickle chargers and battery tenders can possibly cause damage to the Lithium batteries. Battery tender sells one that's switchable between standard and lithium though

https://www.batterytender.com/batter...tery-charger_7

Old 10-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Jokerz08
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the response. Looking at the other forum gave me some more answers. Havent seen anything on how long they last. But as of now I will be looking for one next riding season. Hopefully prices will be lower by then as it seems all batteries have gone up in price like everything else right now

Old 10-27-2021, 11:21 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I have them in my bikes. They are a little over a year old now.
So far, I like them.
I use the Battery Tender that has a button to switch between lead acid and lithium.
I have not had to use the restart function yet.
I have installed them in three other bikes and one of them is quite small (in a chopper) but it works just fine.
I really like that they are very light weight, they are WAY lighter than a lead/acid battery.
If you haven't had one in your hand yet I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you do.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:27 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,923 Likes on 2,565 Posts

I had not heard of this battery, very interesting. We had to jump start my buddies' wife's bike last weekend, she left her lights on during lunch, it would have been interesting to try out the restart feature had her bike been equipped.

But, damn that is an expensive battery.

I have a lithium AG battery in my Flathead, apples and oranges, but yes you need a charger made for Lithium batteries.

DK Customs, a site sponsor, sells AG batteries, I would suggest giving Kevin or Devin a call. I am sure they can give you the full story. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2021, 05:14 PM
LouTX
Tourer
Received 373 Likes on 136 Posts

My buddy installed an AG battery on his custom bike. It sat all summer (here in the Texas heat) and when he went to start it, he had no power at all. I reminded him of the reserve push button. He lifted his seat, pushed the button and had juice for 1 start. Worked like a charm.
Other than that, no other complaints so far. He's had the battery almost a year, never left him stranded and he does not have a battery charger or maintainer. He does not ride the custom bike often and so far the battery has not disappointed him.

Old 10-29-2021, 07:09 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I've had 2 Antigravity Micro jump starters and both had issues within 2 years.
The first one was out of warranty but to Antigravity's credit they replaced it for free.

When the second one died I replaced it with a cheaper off-brand jump starter and that one's been working for a couple of years now without issues.
I think I paid around $50 for it so I can replace it 2-3 times for what the cost of the Antigravity model.

My battery needed to be replaced this year and I considered the Antigravity Restart battery because I really like the idea of it.
However the Restart battery is simply a lithium ion battery with a micro jump starter built in which as stated above I haven't had much luck with.

I decided to not roll the dice and purchased an standard Duracell from my local Batteries Plus store for around $120.
Those have been lasting 3-4 years so at $120 I can get 9-12 years off of 3 Duracell batteries vs. the cost of 1 Restart battery.
I doubt the Antigravity Restart battery will last 9-12 years.

Battery technology is certainly improving but IMO it's not quite there yet to spend $320+ for a motorcycle battery.
Also Batteries Plus is right down the street so service or replacement is only 5 minutes away.

Last edited by Bluraven; 10-29-2021 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Architect (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:59 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,405 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven

the Restart battery is simply a lithium ion battery with a micro jump starter built in which as stated above I haven't had much luck with.
I don't believe that's exactly how they work....

The micro jump starter is a battery pack, that can recharge itself, and is used to jump start other weak/dead batteries.

Their lithium iron phosphate starting batteries, have a BMS (battery management system) to go into "sleep mode" before it draws down the battery too low (from long term parasitic loads, or accidental draws like leaving your lights on) and is damaged.

While both involve electronics and a battery, they are different strategies with different components.

When I did my research on Lithium batteries, and with a couple emails from Antigravity, here's how I understand the restart technology

All Anti-Gravity starting batteries have a BMS (battery management system) in their circuitry... All their models will go into sleep mode at a certain voltage and/or draw, to avoid depleting the battery past the point of no return.

The Restart Batteries cut off at a point well above damage, and also above what is needed to start an engine for their given size. When you find your restart battery has gone into sleep mode (ie: left your lights on), you need only to push a button, the BMS in the battery "wakes it up" and you will have enough power to start your motorcycle..

Since a lot of motorcycle batteries, like on a Harley bagger, are buried, Anitgravity was developing a remote (like a small garage door remote) that will activate the restart feature. I don't know where they are with that currently.

In fact all their starting batteries with a BMS, will go into "sleep mode" at a certain point, and all can be "woken up".... It's just that the restart batteries have the convenience of pushing a button, the others have to be done manually...

One downside to the restart feature, is that a large displacement and/or high compression performance motorcycle may trigger the restart battery "sleep mode" feature when doing a normal start, do to their high current draw at start-up. That is why Antigravity recommended that I buy a different, non-restart battery for my 124" crate engine.

It seems the technology is progressing rapidly, however, I am not fully confident of it to spend the big bucks on one of their batteries, so I too have stuck with the tried & true AGM batteries... for now..

The following users liked this post:
Architect (11-02-2021)