Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Fatboy diagnosing DTC

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:11 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 03 Fatboy diagnosing DTC

I'm sure this has been covered here but I can't seem to find it in a search for 03 models but I've seen the chart and directions for the Diagnostic Troubleshooting Codes for 04 on up.

I was riding my 03 Fatboy and the check engine light came on for a few miles and then shut off. Now when I start the bike after four seconds the Check Engine Light comes on for about 9-10 seconds. I tried to do the diagnosting like described on one of the threads I've seen on here by turning on the ignition with the RUN switch on while pushing the odemeter reset button and the numbers that appear are not like the ones described in the DTC thread I saw (B1004, P0117 etc.)

The numbers that show up are d01CLr. If I push the ode. reset button again the next number is d02CLr and it progresses up to d10CLr with each push of the reset button then the letters PPU show up then the numbers 82883. If I push it again it starts over with the d01CLr.

On my bike there is a Data Link Connector with four pins in it under the seat that a scanalizer is suppose to plug into that tells the tech whats going on. My repair manual says to make a jumper wire and connect two of the pins together to get a series of Check Engine Light flashes to determine a code number.

When doing this its suppose to give six rapid flashes indicating that the system is ready and then there is a two second delay. Then the system flashes the light in a series to give a code number.
If it flashes twice then the first number of the code is 2. Then it pauses for a couple seconds and then flashes out the second code number.

I tried this and I never got the six rapid flashes telling me its ready for a diagnosting but I did get a code of 24 twice; two beats pause and then four beats. My manual gives DTC and it says 24 is a front cylinder ignition coil. But like I said I only got it to do it twice and I tried several times and I never got the "ready" flashes so I'm not real confident in my diagnoses.

I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out.

One thing I thought of is my cam tensioners are the original tensioners and there is almost 49,000 miles on them. Could there be a link?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
planethax
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just checked my engine light, 01 Deuce.
DTC 24 as well, but with no driveability issues.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts