Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST Tail light w/out license plate bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 12:58 PM
skyhigh_ct
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXST Tail light w/out license plate bracket?

I would like to move the license place from the rear & mount on the swing arm. That's the easy part.

The hard part is finding alternatives for a tail light housing that does not include the license plate bracket. I would like to display more of the beefy rear tire. Any suggestions?

Has anyone done this on thier softail standard/custom?

One option is the cut the stock plastics light & plate bracket, but I would prefer to keep the original & replace with something in chrome.

Thanx in advance.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Here's mine. I cut off the plastic where the license mounted to, smoothed it out and repainted it flat black. The new license plate mount is from Kuryakyn.

Attached Thumbnails FXST Tail light w/out license plate bracket?-side-mount-plate2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joker Machine has a cool mount. It's not quite what your looking for but it's an all-in-one mount.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HD tri-light has a licence plate bracket that you can take off

Old 09-05-2010, 03:08 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brettnbama
The HD tri-light has a licence plate bracket that you can take off
He's right, the Tri-Bar light does come with a separate plate bracket that you don't have to install.
But if you decide to go that way I would suggest you make a shelf like plate under it and paint it black to protect the light from any road debris that nice fat tire can and will toss up at it.
The damn thing is really nice, but its far too expensive to sacrifice to an errant rock.

Here's what it looks like with the rack adapter and plate mounting. The light itself has its own plate adapter that you do not have to use. But you could use it as a pattern to make your protection plate.

The flat part with the two screws under the light itself is the bottom and it gets covered with a reflector.
There is also a chrome piece (see pic below) that fits over it covering everything but the three light bars if you want a bit more chrome. It was originally made for the CVO models with a 240mm tire. The fender for them is different so the Tri-Bar light for them has a different part number, but the chrome piece fits both versions.

Sorry I can't find the PN for the chrome piece right now, but it shouldn't take long for a dealer to find it in the parts catalog for an 08 or so CVO bike.

PS Just be ready to spend a bunch of bucks for them, I think the light is around $250 and the chrome piece is over $100.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 09-05-2010 at 03:13 PM.