Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by billiamharley
After you put in the cams, get it dyno tuned to take advantage of your power commander. Do be careful with how much cam you get - watch the intake durations. Too much intake duration will rob low-mid range rpm power and decrease gas mileage. Look online at HD's screamin eagle/pro racing parts catalog - lots of great hop-up info in there. Do look at the different cams they offer there with the specs so you get an idea of what should work for YOUR application.
Cheers mate, I will be getting Dyno tuned and I am looking into the Screaming Eagle stuff as well.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Ok so Ihave contacted the dealer and they have recommended the Screaming Eagle 204 Cam kit including push rods and a Dyno tune. I am looking at getting that fitted with the RSD Air cleaner in the picture below. What do you all think please??

Last edited by Aussie HD; 09-21-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you will be very pleased with the results. On my 2007 Fatboy I used a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Propipe, Doherty Machines Power Pac Intake (with power vents) and a Power Commander III. I had it dyno tuned at Speeds Performance. My bike does everything I need it to do for now. I did all the mods myself (except dyno tune of course) and saved HUGE money over what the dealer would have charged. When the top end gets worn, I will do jugs, cams and lifters at that time. I also installed a Screaming Eagle compensator to handle the extra torque. I have a quick, smooth bike now. Good luck with your mods. The sky's the limit if money is no object....

Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by Clayvis
I think you will be very pleased with the results. On my 2007 Fatboy I used a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 Propipe, Doherty Machines Power Pac Intake (with power vents) and a Power Commander III. I had it dyno tuned at Speeds Performance. My bike does everything I need it to do for now. I did all the mods myself (except dyno tune of course) and saved HUGE money over what the dealer would have charged. When the top end gets worn, I will do jugs, cams and lifters at that time. I also installed a Screaming Eagle compensator to handle the extra torque. I have a quick, smooth bike now. Good luck with your mods. The sky's the limit if money is no object....
Sounds great mate, top job on your bike, I also think I will be pleased too, I already have ther PC III. I have to go back to Africa in a week for 9 weeks, when I get home.......look out.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
kerrycorcoran
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAMS, not an easy choice. Gotta love the Search button and all the knowledge on this site!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

My setup is similar. Before my 95 build I was getting 84hp and 89 tq. I am ye to redyno. I run the S/E 203 cams, D&D fatcat, and those nubmer were on the tc88".

Drew

Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

It's very hard isn't it, listened to heaps an read very much feedback, not sure which way is right but will just try I suppose. Thanks Dr V, what do you think about where I am heading (no offence to anyone else, all great help), Thinking of the 103 upgrade later as well.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 AM
billiamharley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to get a cover for that air filter setup if you ride in the rain (or if you get caught in it).

Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Aussie HD
Tourer

Originally Posted by billiamharley
Might want to get a cover for that air filter setup if you ride in the rain (or if you get caught in it).
Now that was my next question, aren't thest filters oil protected these days??

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been caught in the rain with my open filter. It did not cause a problem. Now,mind you, this was not a torrential downpour. But I would most likely get off the road if that were the case. Light rain seems to be repelled by the oil on the filter. I do have a round cover that goes over the whole filter, but I leave it off unless doing a multi-day trip out of my home area.

Quick Reply: Engine Upgrade