Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound in front end

Old 09-20-2010, 05:51 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buzzing sound in front end

OK, the Springer on my crossbones has pretty much been doing this since the first service, maybe before. It is a slight buzzing sound. It started with it occurring only at certain RPMs. It was most noticeable if I was going slow. Recentely it has started doing it a lot more frequentely. I can hear it at high speed, slow speeds whenever. It is not constant, but it is often. For a long time I could figure out where exactly it was coming from, but I am pretty sure I have it isolated to the actual springs on the front end. Is this a sign that the front needs adjusting? Is this normal? I will take it in today if needed, just waiting to see what you guys have to say......

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

No one?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:53 AM
AusMongrel
Cruiser

I started hearing a buzzing in my front end on my new fatty and realised it was the break!! When I apply front brake I hear a buzzing like sound. It took me a while to connect it to the front brake.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 AM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard the same thing. I hope someone knows what it is. Does not seem to effect the ride, and doesn't get worse. It's just there!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I noticed when I put Lyndall pads in my front break, I get the buzzing when I pull the brakes.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a buzzing sound on my Custom when it was new and it turned out to be the heat shield was vibration on the pipe. I just stuck a screwdriver behind it and pried it up a hair and it quit. Just put your hand on the heat shield when you hear it.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:40 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

OK, I went up to the dealer today to have them look at it. One of the techs up there is supposed to be real sharp on the Springers. He said its just the nature of the beast. As the springs compress and decompress, they obiously change their characteristics slightly. He went on to say that after the 5000 mile service, which is the first servce for the front end, some of it may quiet down a bit. I am about 1100 miles awy from that, so we will see soon. Actually hearing another Crossbones owner saying they have the same noise makes me feel more like this is the truth. It was definitely the springs though. I was able to put in in N, and gradually bring the RPMs up and get it to reproduce. The service writer was standing in front of the bike. Once he heard it, he layed his hands across the springs and it immediately stopped. Just more evidence to the fact that it is just resonation.....

Old 09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for tracking down the answer. Now I know I don't need to wory about it!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

when ya hear the buzz try grabbing your mirror that's where mine came from...it was the spendy hd mirror, the glass was buzzing and ready to fall out,drove me nuts trying to find it,

Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member

I found it a while back. I knew it was coming from the front end. I don't think they were just telling me what they did to keep from having to do warranty work or anything. I believe what they said, at least for now....lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buzzing sound in front end