Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker coil swap - Ion sensor - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
RockerBob
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocker coil swap - Ion sensor - PLEASE HELP!

I am in the process of getting rid of the grenade coil on my 2009 Rocker. I have a Vulcan Engineering motor mount and Dynatech DC9-4 coils, as have been used by other Rocker owners doing this mod.

My indy called today and said that the Dyna coils don't support the Harley Ion Sensing System (ISS) and that he called Dynatech and they told him that they don't make a coil that will work with the Rocker (due to the ISS). The Rocker ignition wiring consists of 4 wires: power, front cylinder, rear cylinder, and ISS. The ISS feeds back to the ECM and allows for detonation (knock/ping) detection.

Since I know that El Gato Grande and DrangonSlayer08 have both used these same coils, I'm wondering what they did? There seems to be one school of thought that a properly tuned high compression build doesn't need the ISS (that you should be able to tune out what little knocking might be happening).

So to those guys, or anyone else who knows, did you disable the ISS? If so, how did you disable it? Any specific advice on tuning?

I've already done a 103" SE build with SE MVA heads, high compression pistons, S&S cams, etc, so I'd be a little surprised if the ISS was even working now. I've also seen advice that on 10.5:1 or higher compression engines that the ISS should be disabled (but I wouldn't consider that 100% reliable).

Any help would be appreciated (other than "this is why you should never ever touch anything on your bike", which seems to be a common suggestion regarding things that mess up the ISS). Thanks!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

:icon_bump:

Would like to know as well. Website of Vulcan engineering shows 3 Ohms coils that work with all EVO engines, so why not with Rocker???

Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you made any progress with this?

Thanks
RJ

Old 10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for bumping this thread again. I just rode through Death Valley and Las Vegas and began pinging pretty bad while cruising the Vegas Strip. I added some fuel additive and let the bike cool off for a while and the problem seemed to go away. I don't have a radical build but I wondered as to why the bike did not go into limp mode when it was pinging so bad. The internal mods are SE pistons 9.8:1 (I think) and ignition mapping is modded with a SE Pro Race Tuner and canned map.