Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train Deuce Rear (17 inch) Wheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 12:23 PM
ultravista
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Train Deuce Rear (17 inch) Wheel Conversion

I am officially done with the Deuce wheel conversion on my 2001 Night Train. The stock wheel (16 inch) and tire (130) were replaced with a 2004 Deuce wheel (17) and tire (160).

The bike also has a lowering kit (i.e. adjustable shocks). It isn't a must but certainly helps.

The "project" is pretty simple given the right tools and parts. I could have used the stock pulley and brake rotor but they were supplied with the wheel as a package. There appears to be no difference between my stock FXSTBI wheel hardware and the Deuce hardware.

There is very little clearance from the fender hardware and tire. Maybe 1/4 inch +/- a 16th. Keep in mind that my 2001 rear fender was replaced with a 2004 rear fender with the newer hardware mounting points. The old fender mounts were bolts & nuts. The new setup is metal straps (inside) and bolts. You'll see the straps in the photos. I did grind the back side of the mounting straps to give a little more clearance.

To fit the newer style straps, I had to widen the rear mounting hole on horns. Just enough for the hardware to slip through.

After the horns were expanded, I also ground down the metal on the inside of the horn. For lack of a better term, I'll call them metal dimples. The metal was "mounded" on the inside of the horn, nearly 1/4 inch. This caused the strap to not fit flush against the horn. A few seconds with the grinder and it was flat and the strap was flush. Pictures available also ...

While the grinder was out, I also reduced the size of the mounting bolts on the tail light bracket. The 'nuts" on the inside were ground down, again to provide additional clearance.

I also bought a rear brake caliper from a Deuce but it turned out it wasn't needed. The stock caliper fit perfectly when the pads were taken out. With the pads, it would not fit inside the wheel. No problem, drop two bolts, pull the pads and there you go. The Deuce rear brake caliper is also for sale, asking $80 shipped, PM me for info.

By the way, the left rear wheel spacer is 41519-00 (2 inches)

While I was at it, the flamed tins were replaced with a flat powder coated set. I'm not much of a skull & flames person so off they went. If anyone is interested, the complete set (stretched tank, fenders, belt guard & tank console) is for sale. I'd like to get $1300 plus shipping. It was professionally stretched & painted with House of Kolor paints. The console and belt guard are also painted. Truly a nice set, just not me. PM me for info.

The stock license plate bracket was ground down and the plate was relocated to the left side of the bike via a Kuryakyn bracket. It changes the whole look of the bike.

The stock forward controls were replaced with floorboards & controls from a Fatboy. You can see them in the photos.

I also replaced the Carlini bars with the stock drag bars. The Carlini bars with internal wiring, switches, braided throttle and clutch cables are also for sale, asking $175 for the entire package. The switches are included as the bars have internal wiring so instead of cutting & splicing, I bought a used switch set on ebay for $80. PM for info. The photo below and the on the website are still with the Carlini bars ...

I'll be at the Las Vegas Bikefest this weekend, catch up with me if you can.

Tons of Pictures:
2001 Night Train Make Over

Old 09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Joshua Chane
Advanced
Default RE: Night Train Deuce Rear (17 inch) Wheel Conversion

Great looking bike man. It gave me some ideas and some inspiration!!!

JOSH

Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice job. No for a fatboy front end on there. that will really make it look cool. LOL

Old 09-14-2006, 10:27 PM
badmo
Road Master

Saaweet bike man!! You did it up right! Those pipes really have my attention also.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:09 PM
mopar360
Novice

Ultra,
Man the bike looks great. Glad to see you got it all back together with the Deuce wheel, looks much better than the skinny stocker!!!!!! I like the look with the new tins, very raw looking, sweet. So you didnt need the Deuce caliper? I was told that the stock one wouldnt clear the outer lip of the Deuce wheel, I definatelly noticed a difference between my stock 2001 standard caliper and the Deuce unit, that makes it even cheaper. I'll join in on the party, heres a few pix of my 2001 Standard with a chrome Deuce wheel and tire...

Butch

[IMG]local://upfiles/6543/FC6522F25D5A49209311B41B785AA457.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6543/BAF0C34D8EE447148DB5D71E5C4CFE60.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6543/F5C7B8AFD52F4CD896FA66601F9B36B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 AM
jackhammer
Tourer

Wow guys, nice mods. I'm now thinking about pulling the old tins out of the closet and going back to the old look with the duece wheel to. Hats off to you and thanks, been looking for a new project for the ride.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 AM
lucospock
Tourer

Nice job man, your bike sure kicks @ss now!javascript:void(AddText('[:/-]'))

Old 09-15-2006, 11:53 AM
ultravista
Road Captain

Badmo - those pipes are Vance and Hines Big Shots (staggered), I bought them off ebay for $110 shipped. They are the newer pipes with the chamber connecting the two. I really like the sound and look.

Butch - per everything I read on this and other forums, the Deuce caliper was needed and you can certainly see the difference. It will fit however if you take the pads out, not even a tight fit, just goes into place. I can take a photo of the fitment if you like. When the axle is through it (i.e. seated properly) there's tons of room.

Glad to see this spurred more interest in the conversion.

The bike looks so much better with the smaller (stock) drag bars and holy **** does it handle different. I never would have imagined that the lower & shorter (left to right) would make a difference. It feels like I'm tune with the front wheel now. Maybe that's why sport bikes have those short little clip-ons.

A solo seat would look awesome too and the console (dash) will be replaced with the stock black console when I can cheaply locate one on ebay. I've also been thinking about dropping a 16 inch Heritage front wheel on there. A fat wheel / tire with no fender.

What about pipe wrap? I was thinking of black or possibly white wrap all the way to the tips. Not needed for heat reduction but more for looks.

By the way, the tins were powder coated for $200 at a local Las Vegas company. Great customer service and they gave me the rest of the powder in the box, nearly two pounds. No clear coat but it does have a base primper coat. I couldn't be happier.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I say wow... nice job man.

Congrats.

Really cool mod.

Regards.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:06 PM
badmo
Road Master

[quote]ORIGINAL: ultravista

Badmo - those pipes are Vance and Hines Big Shots (staggered), I bought them off ebay for $110 shipped. They are the newer pipes with the chamber connecting the two. I really like the sound and look.

110 bones.....??? I will be on the watch for a set. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Night Train Deuce Rear (17 inch) Wheel Conversion