Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage softail won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 AM
hard workin girl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Heritage softail won't start

My friend has a 1987 heritage softail with starting issues. When you hit the button it cranks a couple of times but won't start. The second time you try it clicks like the battery is low. We put a new battery and new starter on and still have the same problem. We have heard this is a known problem with older softails. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If indeed the new battery was new and fully charged and wired properly... check your ground wire... and it still won't start, I'd throw away that bike and buy one that is more reliable. LOL Actually it sounds like a ground wire or starter relay is going bad.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 AM
hard workin girl
Stage III

Thanks, sounds like the a good place to start.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Two Speed
Advanced

If you have done all that,,, I would change the cables and make sure the ground has a good clean connection.. I have seen then ends or cable connection have alot of corrosion just end the ends and can be replaced if their is enough cable without changing the complete cable...
Good luck

Buddy 08 RK

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by hard workin girl
My friend has a 1987 heritage softail with starting issues. When you hit the button it cranks a couple of times but won't start. The second time you try it clicks like the battery is low. We put a new battery and new starter on and still have the same problem. We have heard this is a known problem with older softails. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
I haven't worked on an '87 before, but I'm guessing that you can jump the starter with a screwdriver. If the starter turns over properly with the screwdriver (you can disconnect the coil to keep the bike from firing if you want) then you may have short in the starter button. If it doesn't, then you have narrowed it down to the wiring or one of the two 'new' items you got is bad. To make sure it isn't the battery, jump it from a car. If it turns over like new, then it's probably the battery. If it turns over better, but still not right, you're still probably looking at a wiring problem. It still could be that the armature in the new starter is bad, but that depends upon where you got the starter before I would start looking in that direction. You can tell if the starter is drawing to much by using an induction ammeter. You can get them at Harbor Freight for cheap. You just put it over the cable from the battery to the starter, crank it over, and read the results. I don't know what the specs on an '87 are, but I >think< you should get from between 250 to 400 amps.

I have known mice to eat the insulation off of wiring in places you would never look... chasing electrical issues can be expensive if you don't have a few good meters and a lot of patience, plus a wiring diagram.

Good luck.

C#

Old 10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the cAbles all mucky? If do clean them. Another thing that was wrong on one of my friends bike was the. Voltage regulator might want to check the omhs on that bAd boy

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I once heard about a similar problem with a Sportster. The problem turned out to be the wiring connector at the ignition switch.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Kiyoshi
Intermediate

thanks for the advise. Reading this forum, I did find that my cable looked good, but when I took it off of the battery clamp, I found that the wire did need to be cleanned and it helped the starter problem. good avise.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I am assuming you charged the new battery. It should be at least 12.7 volts.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:33 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

ck starter relay too.

Quick Reply: Heritage softail won't start