Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
NursePhoenix
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling issues

I have a 07 Deluxe with 22K miles. I put a Screamin Eagle air filter, Vance and Hines 2-into-1 Pro Pipe with the Vance and Hines fuel pack about 10K miles ago.
Recently, my bike stalls when I pull my clutch in intermittently. It starts right back up every time. I could anticipate that it would stall because my bike would pop when I would close the throttle and it would idle very slow. We contacted Vance and Hines and they gave us settings in increase the amount of fuel at idle. My speedometer went to zero once when I was cruising at about 60 but that just happened once (very scary!). We used a voltmeter and everything checked out fine. The spark plugs look good also. My husband does all the maintenance on it according to the service manual. My bike never threw a code.
After we changed the battery and adjusted the fuel pack, I rode about 700 miles with no issues. My speedo still works fine (when it failed, my turn signals still cancelled) but it is stalling again. It isn't popping when I let off the throttle, it just idles very low intermittently when I pull the clutch in. It doesn't matter how much fuel I have in my tank. I have been riding in 45-80 degree weather.
We're going to increase the idle speed a little more to see what happens.
Someone else had the same problems with their Deluxe and got rid of their fuel pack and it never happened again.

Does anyone have an ideas where to start before I bring it to a shop?
Any help would be appreciated!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
MidnightFLHX11
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I, too would like to know some thoughts on this.
Similar events have been happening to my STC, doesn't matter how hot or cold, full or empty tank, etc. If I'm going, pull in the clutch and stalls. I took it to the dealership and mentioned it to them, they cleaned some sensors but claim that they couldn't find anything.

This doesn't happen every time I ride, sparatically really. Only mod I have is Rush 2.0" slip-ons.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
NursePhoenix
Tourer

I've been searching the forum~it looks like some people had issues with the fuel lines but it only happens when the tank is at 1/2 or less and the speed sensor seems to have some relationship with the turn signals not self-cancelling.
If I roll the throttle a little it stops it from stalling but I can't always do it.
When my husband rode it and couldn't reproduce it. I know if I bring it to a shop they may keep it for weeks and find nothing.
I'll readjust some settings on the fuel pack and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I may get rid of it and get it mapped or try a power commander instead.
I'll keep you posted~thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
snook592
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does different humidity levels have an effect. Wondering if moister might have anything to do with it?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK this is wierd.. on my way home tonight my 07 FB stalled at 3 stops. getting off the highway after running 17 miles, and stopping at the ramp it was fine. went about a 1/4 mile to make a right and the engine sounded kinda funny, felt like a freewheeling wind down of a different engine.. i can't quite put my finger on it, but it wasn't the normal Vtwin vib.. anyways, i popped the clutch and fired it back up since i was on a roll. i went 3 miles to the next stop and it wanted to stall but i kept it going by gassing it a little.. it seemed like it was starving for fuel. so i cranked on her pretty good and she took off fine and acceled hard and strong.. next turn 1 mile later, same thing, i had to keep on the gas to keep it going.. another 1.5 miles home and it stalled coming down the driveway.. i took closer note.. no CEL on or any other warning lights on except the oil light when it stalled. i thought that was odd.. usually with the key on, engine off all the warning lights do their bulb test.. hmmmm.. i turned the ign to the off position and back on and all the lights came on, started right up and idled fine.

07 FB, 6k miles, all stock, 3/4 tank of fuel, approx 70degrees. i did pull the aircleaner and checked the throttle body, it looked ok. when i plugged off the IAC port it idled to low and stalled.. i closed it off sloooooow to try and see if the base minimum air rate was ok.. i think it's too low myself.. with the IAC port closed it should still idle, but real low, just this side of stalling.. well thats how it is with cagers.. fuel injection is fuel injection in my book.

side note.. i did notice some train huffing smoke out the real cylinder breather tube, but the frt was clear.. is that normal or did i buy a used lemon last yr..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 PM
thundergod
Tourer

i have had this same issue with my 07 night train since it was new. dealer says they have no clue and have never heard of any other complaints. i think it is a bug in the ecm personally but without dealer support i have learned to live with it.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Had it a few time when new... after the stg1 and SERT/dyno at 1K miles, its never done it since...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM
HogDawg41
4th Gear
Default Try this...

Originally Posted by thundergod
i have had this same issue with my 07 night train since it was new. dealer says they have no clue and have never heard of any other complaints. i think it is a bug in the ecm personally but without dealer support i have learned to live with it.
I know this sounds funny......but here goes.......

My '07 Deluxe stalled twice on a recent 3,000 mile trip. The second time it happened, it went completely dead while I was riding down the highway. Obviously I was concerned. However, after the second malfunction, I figured out that the bike's key was in my pocket, and it had turned the bike off when the key was moved around inside my pants. The bottom line? The key in my pants had turned the bike OFF.

Remember.......these newer bikes have the security system key on them, and if that key gets manipulated, it can literally cut off the power to your bike.

HD

Last edited by HogDawg41; 10-08-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
jinxtre
Novice

i have 08 deluxe,v\h tru duels, fuel pac, high flow air cleaner and have had the same problem for the last year. sometimes its fine,happens at least twice a day mostly when bike is at 200 degrees and above. toke to steelership twice and they could not duplicate and gave me the song and dance about not using the fuel pac.i can usually tell when its going to happen when i'm downshifting,i get a sucking sound followed by a very low idle, sometimes stalls,sometimes the idle slowly catches back up to normal idle.any answers would be a big help! thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
stvmike
Cruiser
Default Iac

Some have had to replace the Idle Air Control valve on our 07's to fix this problem.

Quick Reply: Stalling issues