Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking fork oil again!! HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaking fork oil again!! HELP!!!

I did a search of the forum and didn't find what I was looking for just incase the search police is wondering. I have a problem with the left side of my forks. I am running a progressive drop in kit with SE heavy wight oil and for the second time the seal is leaking. When the drop in kit was installed by a local shop it started to leak about 500 miles after the install and then it stopped. The local indy said it was fine. About 1200 miles later it started leaking again. I removed the fork and sure enough I found a small puddle of oil on top of the seal. The top seals under the fork caps are good and not leacking. I took the fork to the stealership and had them check the seal which they said was good, reinstalled it and they refilled the shock with oil. I put the front end back together and took the bike out for a very short ride and parked it. I just noticed a puddle of oil under the left fork and oil coming out of the cowbell and running down the fork. What can be the cause? Should it take less oil because of the lowered springs? For those of you that are running dropped front ends how much oil are you running?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:54 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would put new seals in it, only way oil can come out is the seal or the topcap, or drain plug......so it has to be the seals....how the heck do you check a seal anyway?, id switch stealers too

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Unfortunately we only have one stealership here in town so I don’t have much to choose from. I agree with you on changing the seal, the tech stated that he had removed the seal to check it but we all know how that go’s. I’m just wondering if it’s better to run a little less oil sense the forks are lowered.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 PM
hogman1999
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check and see if seals were installed correctly ,if they are not when you brake hard or ride on bumpy road you will get seeping .

Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM
McRider
Cruiser

Something similar happened with mine. It turned out the seals were installed properly but the seal spacers (looks like a big washer) under the seals were up side down. The beveled sides must be up. I reinsalled them correctly and it has not leaked since.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Thanks McRider, I'll try that.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 AM
AddictedUSAF
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really can't tell a difference between the two sides of that washer. Anyway you could help? Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
McRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AddictedUSAF
I really can't tell a difference between the two sides of that washer. Anyway you could help? Thanks
One side is flat and the other side is slightly rounded. The flat side should face down. I know it is hard to tell but there is a difference. I found out by reading the shop manual. That worked for me. I hope it fixes your issue.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 AM
AddictedUSAF
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McRider
One side is flat and the other side is slightly rounded. The flat side should face down. I know it is hard to tell but there is a difference. I found out by reading the shop manual. That worked for me. I hope it fixes your issue.
Ah ok I think I can see it now. Thanks

Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 PM
McRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AddictedUSAF
Ah ok I think I can see it now. Thanks
No problem. Also make sure the seals are properly seated with the side with the letters facing up. If you don't have the special tool, you can use a pcv pipe like I did.

Quick Reply: Leaking fork oil again!! HELP!!!