Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wired up my passing lamps and no headlight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:12 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wired up my passing lamps and no headlight...

So, here is what we did for my passing lamps which had to be rewired. I added a relay for the passing lamps and wired it directly off the battery with a fused connection. The relay connects to switch to the passing lamps to provide power. I also put a jumper from the yellow headlight wire to the orange and white accessory fuse so that I can run the passing lamps with the hi or lo beam. The passing lamps work great. But....the headlight does not work. I thought I blew a headlight so I got a new one and thought it was working, but I am not so sure now. All fuses check out. I ahve tried 3 different headlights, the original bulb that was in teh headlight, the new one I bought Thursday night, and a new one I bought today. None of them work, the new one did not even light up.

It seems there might be a ground issue, but the ground in the headlight along with all the connections look to be fine. Any suggestions on what to check? The wiring is rather confusing to me, although I can draw out a diagram of exactly how it goes and I see no way that it would not be working.

I can ride with just the passing lamps, but i want my headlight to be working too dammit! I will be tearing it apart again on Monday or Tuesday, but someone must have a suggestion or two besides kk6pg who devised the genius wiring. I mean that, it is a really nice setup.

I got my tribar headlight insert and am going to be putting that in in a few minutes. Still waiting on my Lamin-X to turn the passing lamps yellow. they must have mailed it from the north pole or something.

On the bright side it seems my battery is holding a fat charge now. Hopefully it wills tart right up in the am. I had crimped a new connector on the end of the circuit breaker and it was barely on. A newly crimped connector took care of that.

Thanks!

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 10-09-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
All fuses check out. I ahve tried 3 different headlights, the original bulb that was in teh headlight, the new one I bought Thursday night, and a new one I bought today. None of them work, the new one did not even light up.

It seems there might be a ground issue, but the ground in the headlight along with all the connections look to be fine. Any suggestions on what to check?
LOL, you can't troubleshoot electrical stuff by looking at it! You have to either take ohm meter readings to verify, or jumper with a known good ground. If you don't have a multimeter, get a known good length of wire, of sufficient AWG to handle the current of the circuit on high beam. Jumper directly between the "hot" lead of the headlight socket and the plus terminal of the battery (w/ the headlight connector unplugged), and again between the ground lead and the negative battery terminal. The connections at the battery HAVE TO BE good or the bike wouldn't start. If it doesn't light then, you know you have a bad bulb. Without a multimeter though, you're at the end of your troubleshooting ability with just a jumper wire. BTW, I hope you didn't determine the fuses were good by looking at them! You have to either measure zero ohms across the leads or swap it into a circuit that works and see if it still works. GL!

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 10-09-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I have a multimeter Mr L. I'll give it a try

Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK. if you need a wiring diagram, I can fax it to you or email a photograph.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I have the service manual with the wiring diagram, but thanks. I'm going to Larry's on Monday and we will sort it out. Unless you can explain what I do with the Multi meter.

Drew

Old 10-10-2010, 12:08 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the mulit-meter to check the power wire going to the head lamp (there should be two-one for high and one for low) and a known good ground connection. If you have 12v then you have a ground issue. If not, then you have a supply issue. Can you give us a wiring diagram of how you wired everything? Even if you have to draw it on paper and take a picture. This would help alot!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

I have misplaced my multimeter. I was ready to test it all last night and could not find the meter. It has to be here somewhere.

As far as drawing a diagram I'll see what I can do tonight. I'm going riding today.

Thanks!

Drew

Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN

I also put a jumper from the yellow headlight wire to the orange and white accessory fuse so that I can run the passing lamps with the hi or lo beam. The passing lamps work great. But....the headlight does not work.
Thanks!

Drew
Wiring the relay to the headlight wires is suspect, and unnecessary.

Installed a relay for my passing lamps also. Use the horn wire or the running light wire (any wire that gets voltage when the bike is turned on) to "switch on, activate" the relay. I forget what post number it is in the relay. This will then turn on the relay and provide power all the time to your passing lamp switch.

Last edited by KumaRide; 10-10-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:32 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

I got a little part that will let you do what you want. It's two motorola 22 amp diodes that attach to the passing lamp switch.

The passing lamp is powered from the low beam wire in the headlight.

This lets the high beam voltage come through the diode to power the passing lamps as well.

Real easy to install.

Be glad to send you one. I have four made up.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wlbowers
I got a little part that will let you do what you want. It's two motorola 22 amp diodes that attach to the passing lamp switch.

The passing lamp is powered from the low beam wire in the headlight.

This lets the high beam voltage come through the diode to power the passing lamps as well.

Real easy to install.

Be glad to send you one. I have four made up.
Hey Lee

Could you sketch out your circuit? I have access to all kinds of diodes.

Thanks

Fred

Quick Reply: Wired up my passing lamps and no headlight...