Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat boy vs Fat boy lo

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fat boy vs Fat boy lo

Can somebody who has ridden both bikes give me the pros and cons. I cannot decide on which bike to buy. What advantage does the Lo have.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
hamdizle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

preaty much what u like the best......but I have heard that the standard fat boy has a little better suspention cause it's not lowered...but it's all in what u like best....ride both and make a choice

Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Angry

i have the fatboy lo nice looking bike one thing 2 up the bike rode hard went to the dealer the dial my shocks in rides alot better with 2 up other then that the bike is ok. one thing very easy bike to keep clean. i do like the fatboy with the chrome to. one thing i like with the 2011 fatboy they put the same satin chrome emblems on nice touch.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:30 PM
Black Buffalo
Advanced

If i had the Choice to Choose between the two .. I'd Score the X-Bones .. LOL, Just Kiddin !

On a Serious Note: I've got Biker Brotha's who Swear that the FATBOY LO is a Righteous Riden Machine, Although that Mean FatBoy is a Trusty Second without a doubt !

Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I found it to be a fit issue. I'm not a tall guy so when I test rode them both, the LO just "fit" much better. I love the chrome on my Deluxe and decided to go the opposite on my LO. But now...I find myself adding small touches of chrome to the LO and it looks really nice. So I say test ride them both and go with the one that fits you best. Then you can customize it however you want.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

I have just 300 miles on my new 2010 FLSTF. I absolutely love it. I would have more miles on it but I find the joy of working on it almost as much as riding it (almost). I am making it a true transformer:

V&H Q series double barrel staggereds, S/E intake, Fuelpak (interim, going to go for the TTS soon), Deluxe auxiliary light kit, Boss Springer bags with the Heritage basket weave and matching tank/fender bib, nostalgic Q.D. smoke windshield. Q.D. sissy bar w/ luggage rack and Alloy Art rear strut LED turn signals. Not to mention buying misc. chrome gismo replacements on every trip to the dealer.

I wanted the ability to strip her down for sleek, fat, solo riding in a matter of minutes on warm sunny days. I live a block from PCH and when the weather is good and warm, I love a quick putt with her running naked.

I actually like both the FLSTF and the FLSTFB, I pondered both of them hard before making a decision. I like how the Lo felt sitting in the saddle, I felt a little more like an extension of the scooter rather than an object perched on it. The blacked out look is very cool I think, very new school and fashionable but yet with a retro flair at the same time, very well done and HD made a very wise marketing decision offering this in 2010.

As much as I like the blacked out Lo….I am an old school, dripping in chrome, type of guy. So, still favoring black, I chose the standard vivid black Fat Boy with the factory chrome wheel option. Yea, it’s a lot of up keep to keep her sparkling, but at nights I put her on the jack in the garage, sit on my mechanics rolling stool and skate around her with a detail rag in one hand and a cocktail in the other. Got a TV in the garage so now there’s no conflict with football season….. life is good! Mama says I have a mistress…. I suppose she’s right.

I did buy a Fat Boy Lo seat because it felt so good when I was deciding between the two scoots. It makes it feel a little more like a Lo, I feel more part of the machine. I will eventually get a Saddlemen Explorer or King for long hauls with the wifie. I’m 52 and have had multiple back surgeries, I have two artificial discs. So I am experimenting with fitment. I have a set of 4”pull back risers on order but they are on backorder until the end of the month. In the coming months, I plan on getting a Shotgun Shock suspension system. Form that point on, it will be a lifetime addition/addiction of adding dripping chrome parts. I will add some pics to my signature soon.

So….. You won’t go wrong with either, you just can’t. If I had the resources I suppose I would have both. I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is go with the picture you have in your mind, blacked out or chrome, go with your gut imaginary feeling. The ride and fit can be changed with …well, er, um, more money! Either way, you will be envied by many others around you on the road. I can’t tell you how many thumbs up I’ve gotten at signal lights, from dudes that is. Chicks look and smile. What is it about a Harley that makes women of all ages want to have sex on it anyway?

Regards,
Larry

Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Tired_bird
Cruiser

I didn't notice much difference, went riding with a girl from work, she baught the Fatboy low, I got the fatboy, we switched bikes for about 60 miles on our ride because she wanted to see how she liked the apes. and yea the fatboy lo is a tad lower, but as for turns and comfert it wasn't much of a difference. her next mod will be 14 inch apes.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak to the ride difference between the two, but cosmetically, I think HD missed the mark with the Lo. They had the opportunity to make a blacked out machine like a NT, but dropped the ball. The mix of gloss black, flat black, and satin silver just make it a confused looking attempt at something........just not sure what. Now if you want to buy the Lo and finish what Harley started and black the damn thing out, then you will have a sweet looking bike. But off the floor, it just looks wrong.

Just my opinion.....

Shakey

Old 10-13-2010, 08:50 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one do you like the looks of better? Get that one! You will end up changing bars and seat on either one of them eventually. The fatboy can be lowered with a bolt kit for about $20. I did this to mine lowered 2" and put a Fatboy Lo seat on with Klockwerks bars. Now my fatty sits lower than a low plus I love my CHROME

Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've rode both and the only real difference is what you like the looks of, chrome or dull. My Fat Boy's been lowered and had the seat changed, so it sits like a Lo, but I'm a chrome junky, so the Lo isn't my thing.

Attached Thumbnails Fat boy vs Fat boy lo-green-meanie.jpg  

Quick Reply: Fat boy vs Fat boy lo