Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe

So I've been in the market for some bags for my 05 Deluxe and I've been considering the Osprey bags that are a lot like the old Springer bags. However I've seen some pictures of them from people here and they just don't seem to have the same shape as the Springer bags.

Osprey:

Springer:

First off, the Osprey look a lot more saggy on top, and seem to lean in toward the bike on top, where the OEM Springer bags seem more full and even all the way up. There also seems to be a big open space/gap between the flap of the Osprey bag and the Springer bags which seems odd. And then the zipper comes WAY back on the Osprey bag and you see it on the back of the bag, where the Springer bag doesn't do that.

I know a lot of people really like the Osprey bags, but after seeing the pics above, I just don't seem to like the way the sit. They don't seem to sit parallel with the bike, almost appearing pinched at the top.

Am I missing something?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

The OEM Springer bags look better. And you can get them from Harley..

Check out Boss Bags as well... They are doing a bag almost identical to the springer bags...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Ya, Boss Bags are nice, I just cant shell out 1200 for a set of bags.

PRobably going to go with some Hog Deluxe bags...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Osprey bags are really well made and they use very thick leather. I almost sold my heritage springer bags to get a set of Ospreys, im kind of glad I didnt sell them. IMO i think HD heritage springer and Osperys look the best on Deluxes. A few members have said that the HS bags are still availible thru HD but I cant find them in the parts book. The only problem I ran into with mine is that my 06 doesnt have the mounting hole on the strut to match the holes on the bags. It was a simple fix.

Attached Thumbnails Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe-softail-bagger-005.jpg   Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe-softail-bagger-008.jpg   Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe-softail-bagger-010.jpg   Question about Osprey bags (vs Springer) for Deluxe-softail-bagger-007.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

Ya those Springer bags look MADE for the bike. The Osprey simply just dont look like they fit as well. Too saggy under the flat and they don't seem flush with the bike.

I think I'll spend an extra $100 or so for the Hog Deluxe bags.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

Keep your eyes open for HS bags, you can find them here and on ebay sometimes. I think they'er worth the wait. They just fit right IMO.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:08 PM
ShockwaveTXB
Road Captain

You have to drill an extra hole in the strut for them tho right?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Santo
Road Warrior

No drilling, I made some homemade brackets and Im able to mount the bags and use my quick disconnect docking system at the same time.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my new Boss springer 37 bags delivered yesterday UPS, they are for my 2010 Fat Boy. I just pulled them out of the box last night, haven't had the chance to get them on yet. But these things are awesome! Very heavy duty and look just like the original springer bags.

The backs are contoured so they snug up to the bike much closer than others, Boss only started doing this on their 40's and the springer 37's. They use the 2 forward strut bolts for their quick disconnect nipples, the last one is not used, I think with these bags and their shape, you could probably run any turn signal you want.

Boss does seem to run higher in price, but the quality and service seems to be there backing it up.

I got mine with the deluxe basket weave lids and conchos, got the matching tank and fender bib as well. I will put up some pics when I get them on.

Regards,
Larry

Old 10-16-2010, 02:09 PM
scannerman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the osprey bags and really like them. I use the space above the bag and flap to hold a jacket, water bottle, tent etc. You can also put more in them than the springer bag. Don't get me wrong, I love the springer bag also, but hard to find and quite pricey. Oh yeah, I made my own brackets.