Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train...06 carb or 07

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Joshua Chane
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Night Train...06 carb or 07

You can get the 06 with a 200 tire but the 07 has the 200 tire, larger engine and a 6 speed. If you plan any trips to Sturgis or Daytona ar anywhere you ride a long distance you will enjoy the 6 speed trans.

Hands down the 07 will be the better bike and like the others said I dont think the stealerships will cut you a good enough deal to go with the 06...

Just my .02

JOSH

Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Paintrain
Banned

ORIGINAL: Babs

96B engine and 6-speed in the 07.. and some cool paint setups.. powdercoat.
They'd have to really come down on the 06 to interest me.. Would have to be a $3500+ difference.
I was going to trade my 06 for an 07. But then I did the numbers & test rode a 103ci Train. It had some vibration issues. For $3000. You could put a 33T final gear and a 95ci kit that would walk away from an 07. With a smoother trany, cooler running (according to what I hear). etc etc.

It depends on the deal.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Sean883
Cruiser

When i went looking for a new bike i wanted a carbd 06. Could not find one anywhere close. Now i have an 07 and am extremely happy with it. Still sometimes wish i had a carb though, it has advantages and disadvantages just like the FI. I could care less about the 6 speed, i don't go on long rides and 6th is worthless under 70. And i haven't had a single problem with my 07.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:19 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

well i'm holding out to see if they really want to get rid of it. MSRP, hell I'm sure they could go lower if they really wanted to make the sale.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:59 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,002 Likes on 515 Posts

I would offer them $2500 off of MSRP with no setup and see if they take it. The 06 is the end of an era...carbs, 88, 5 speed, no 02 sensors. I bought an 06 Deluxe and made the mistake of buying EFI. I have regretted it. My advice...get the carb while you can. You can always buy an EFI bike in the future. I am probably going to buy a used 06 FXSTS or FXSTB myself in a year or two when the prices drop a little more on the used ones. I miss my 03 carb'd Night Train.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
powerpro509
Advanced

Carb all the way. Here are the reasons....

1. You or just about anyone can work on it.
2. If you want to change pipes, or anything else on the engine, all you have to do is buy a $5 jet.
3. It idles lower, sounding better.
4. It don't cost a fortune to work on the fuel system.
5. Carbs have worked for years and you can buy one from a lot of different companies.

So, in the end, if you want to change anything, you've already saved money. If you want to change anything on EFI, you have to remap it costing $100s of dollars........

EFI, so, you can start it W/O choking it........WOW.......What a concept! As far as the 96ci or the 88ci, that wouldn't even be a factor to me. Do what you want, but I'll spend 10 or 20 seconds to choke my TC88B.

JUST MY .02

Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

Well I called them yesterday and told them that I was going to have to wait b\c of money problems. They didn't offer a lower price, so I'll just play the waiting game with them. Or do you think I should make the offer or wait until they do?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM
powerpro509
Advanced

I don't think the '06 will hang around that long, but you could always buy the '07 because it will always be there. Who likes carbs and has two thumbs? THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: stratplexi

I would offer them $2500 off of MSRP with no setup and see if they take it. The 06 is the end of an era...carbs, 88, 5 speed, no 02 sensors. I bought an 06 Deluxe and made the mistake of buying EFI. I have regretted it. My advice...get the carb while you can. You can always buy an EFI bike in the future. I am probably going to buy a used 06 FXSTS or FXSTB myself in a year or two when the prices drop a little more on the used ones. I miss my 03 carb'd Night Train.
That's good to know, I opted for a carb in my 04 Fatboy (from advice from a couple friends).. The reasoning was that carbs are just "easier".. No remapping, just jets and tuning and air flow (filter). My gas mileage isn't terrific.. mid to high 30's MPG. But I attribute that to the setup with rineharts and dynajet kit.. Could probably be tweaked a bit.. I really got to get some experience with carb tuning. Has a fast idle when warmed up I'd like to lower just a little as well, but when it's cold, doesn't idle worth a dang without a little choke until it's got some heat built up.. (runs super cool I noticed these days since the swap to M1 V-Twin, so it takes a little longer to warm up)..

Sorry, off topic but just made me think.

Would I go carb again.. probably.. because if it needs tuning, it doesn't REQUIRE a trip to the dealer and their laptop hooked up to the silly thing.

I also agree with the above statement about the 06 (five speed) vs 07 (six speed).. The six speed may be nice, but you can always put a 95 kit in the 06 with a 34T andrews (or similar) front pulley (final gear).. That'll bring the highway speed RPM's down nicely with plenty of power. Considering a 34 tooth pulley myself, but I just don't feel like tearing down the primary any time soon. But there's big big debates going on the reliability of the new 6-speeds (helical cut gears). I have no opinion on it, but just saying, it's a topic.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fripple

Well I called them yesterday and told them that I was going to have to wait b\c of money problems. They didn't offer a lower price, so I'll just play the waiting game with them. Or do you think I should make the offer or wait until they do?
If you're infact ready to buy, I'd just make 'em an offer on it.. All they can do is say no or counter it (a little negotiating, which used to be unheard of with Harley's).. Strike a deal with them on the 06.. You never know. Act like you're indifferent about letting the 06 sit there and 'eventually' ordering an 07.. Any good sales manager knows one concept, "Get the business TODAY".

Quick Reply: Night Train...06 carb or 07