Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing rear fender reflectors

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing rear fender reflectors

Okay stupid *** question but here we go.....I have never removed the dumb reflectors on my rear fender (please don't ask why). Anyway I does anyone think at this point it would leave a mark since my bike is an 06 model? I don't want to take them off and then have an ugly spot on the fender.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:08 AM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have pristine paint underneath so you probably will be able to see where they were.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderBueller
You will have pristine paint underneath so you probably will be able to see where they were.
Yeah that is my fear. Sounds like a good excuse to get a custom paint job.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Lol well my bike is fairly new when I pulled my reflectors so I cant say anything about noticing it but honestly is it a big deal? Its not a huge spot and it should blend in pretty fast with the old paint.

I took mine off with a blow dryer and a flathead screw driver. Blow dryer on its own is almost good enough it actually melted the reflectors.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the bike is garage kept alot and the paint on the fender showing now is in good shape, then when you remove the reflector it should not be noticable much at all. After you remove the reflectors, remove the residue with WD-40 or some Goo-Gone. Then wax it real good with a cleaner wax to blend the 2 areas in. Kadorja is right on with the hair dryer taking the reflector off and the sticky tape stuff off easily.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 AM
FatBoyVeteran
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyriver
If the bike is garage kept alot and the paint on the fender showing now is in good shape, then when you remove the reflector it should not be noticable much at all. After you remove the reflectors, remove the residue with WD-40 or some Goo-Gone. Then wax it real good with a cleaner wax to blend the 2 areas in. Kadorja is right on with the hair dryer taking the reflector off and the sticky tape stuff off easily.

Ditto there.

I didn't use a heat gun at at...I just pryed them off with a padded screwdriver and then used Goo Gone and slowly worked off the felt and glue residue.

My bike is only a few weeks old so I don't have to worry about blending at all.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats how I did mine, blow dryer and WD-40. Mines a 06, and you could tell just a tad where the reflectors was when I took them off. So, as I said in a earlier thread, went a bought a Black Box Kit. Done!!! paint looks great cant tell the reflectors were ever there. Black box is great. Takes time and is tedious but, damn that stuff works good.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

Tools needed:
1 flat blade screwdriver
1 micro-fiber rag
1 small bottle of goo-gone or something similar
2 bud longnecks (or brand of your choice, 1 for the front and 1 for the back)

Pop the reflectors off with the screwdriver. (suggested consumption of alcohol here) Remove residue with rag and goo-gone. (stand back and admire your work while finishing off the alcohol here.)

Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

^ you forgot to add: Then take her for a test ride

Old 11-07-2010, 10:26 AM
El Dee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The evel one

Alright all you flat-blade screwdriver boys listen up.....Disaster lurks with the screwdriver......Get yourself about 2 foot of fishing line....wrap around both fists....start the fishing line under the edge of the reflector and then "saw" it off...Angle the line towards the fender to remove as much double sided tape as possible...Saturate with WD and let her sit a bit.....Unless the bike has spent a great deal of time in the sun fading should be "NO PROBLEMO"..............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing rear fender reflectors