Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Classic Covers or Hot Toppers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Harley Classic Covers or Hot Toppers?

I'm gonna start chroming more stuff as a means to kill boredom this winter. I'm looking at the Hot Toppers kit for $159, and I also found that Harley has a set....and of course it is $259 (before my discount). Some times I think that Harley knows their bikes, so buy that kit....but Hot Toppers has good reviews also. Any insight is appreciated.....especially by my Wife....I mean Santa!

Harley Kit
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Hot Toppers Starter Kit
http://www.hottoppers.com/productdetails.asp?c=3&ID=92

Complete Kit
http://www.hottoppers.com/softail.asp

Old 11-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wife used hot topper kit for her v-rod and it worked out well. They have a lifetime warranty so if you lose one they replace it. Use plenty of silicon to make sure that they don't come off. They are an issue when or if you remove a component that has a hot topper on, they usually get destoyed. Make sure the dealer will honor the warranty.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Reino_79
Tourer

My opinion....do it right.....get polished bolts.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:25 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what they're called but I used those chrome button things that fit into the allen bolts and cover the ends. You can get them at a good hardware store for cheap. they don't cover the whole head of the bolt just the open end.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Taking out and replacing bolts could lead to trouble! The last thing I need is a stripped bolt or a leak!

Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used all Harley bolt covers, because they seemed to fit and stay on better than the hot toppers. My friend with hot toppers is always losing a cover on rides. However a little RTV glue cures that. But with the Harley covers I don't use glue at all (They snap on and fit better). There are a few bolts on the bike you will find that Harley makes no covers for, however hot toppers does make all different sizes, and about any good Harley shop keeps a loose box of universal size hot toppers, but most of these need a little RTV glue. The bottom front motor mount bolt is an example that Harley does not make a cover for, but hot toppers does.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

I didn't get the kit, but most of mine are covered with the HD classic covers.
The handlebar clamp covers bolts are hot toppers the salesman put on for free the day I picked the bike up. I mentioned the bolts were missing something.
Some of the bolts I've replaced with polished stainless.

I covered the front engine mount bolts with "axle covers" I ordered from JP Cycles. Must have been for a bicycle axle, because they were small and worked out perfect.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the Hot Toppers and they look good and are easy to install. I only used silicone on a few that needed it and have never had a problem with them falling off. The problem with Hot Toppers is getting them off when you need to do maintenence or engine work. They are very hard to take off without destroying and they aren't cheap to replace. With that being said, I wouldn't use them again. Instead, I like good chrome bolts and I also like the way chrome bolts look over Hot Toppers.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Reino_79
Tourer

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
Taking out and replacing bolts could lead to trouble! The last thing I need is a stripped bolt or a leak!
Thats why you replace one bolt at a time. You can get the bolts for a decent price at Ace Hardware. They have chrome and Polished bolts.

Here is another idea but I think it would only look good on certain bikes. I know a guy who used handgun shells. He cut the end off and used that as a bolt cover. If I remember right he used .45 acp shells to cover the riser bolts.
Again, not something that looks good on all bikes but just an idea I thought Id throw out there.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
wmiller7
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot toppers

Just completed installing an entire set of Hot Toppers. they are plastic but seem to be holding up; the ones on the heads of the engines have already developed a crinkle look; but Hot Toppers supposedly guarantees them for life. I'm getting ready to find out how true they are to their representation. But, all in all, I don't think you are going to notice a measurable difference between Hot Toppers and more expensive HD ones