Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFM Automatic Clutch?

Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
Default EFM Automatic Clutch?

Just curious if any of you are running the EFM Auto Clutch? If so I'd appreciate hearing your opinions on functionality & longevity of this product.

Due to wrist issues I'm going with Tank Shift/Foot Clutch anyway, but I thought using the Auto Clutch might make doing so even better.

Here's a YouTube demo of this clutch in action. It looks pretty efficient in the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CAQk...layer_embedded

Thanks

Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
panlvr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from the looks of it i think i will be getting the autoclutch set up im gonna set up a jockey shift on my heritage an i think this would be perfect little pricey but **** you get what you pay for

Old 12-17-2010, 09:22 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Come on once you get the hang of the foot clutch it's easy... Don't be a cheater... lol

Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by panlvr
from the looks of it i think i will be getting the autoclutch set up im gonna set up a jockey shift on my heritage an i think this would be perfect little pricey but **** you get what you pay for
I hear ya, especially being that $700.00 is all I paid for my first Pan. But in today's market when you can spend more than twice that amount for softail adjustable air shocks, it seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

Originally Posted by story808
Come on once you get the hang of the foot clutch it's easy... Don't be a cheater... lol
Agreed, my first bike was tank shift/foot clutch. Even though that was over 35 years ago, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue getting the hang of it again. And if this Auto Clutch is said to be crap, screw it. But if it is a good product, it seems like a welcomed option to me

Old 12-18-2010, 10:54 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Somebody here must be running this clutch, no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWBT...layer_embedded

Old 12-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,163 Likes on 5,391 Posts

I have never seen anyone run one...several companies make them...check with them and see what kind of warranty they have...that will give you some idea of the longevity of the product. It is basically a "minibike" clutch so if you use it automatically all the time it will wear quicker than a "normal" clutch...but you can disengage it normally and use it automatically only when you need to. All the ones I have seen only work with a BDL 3" open belt drive. (or BDL clone)

Old 12-18-2010, 12:39 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I have never seen anyone run one...several companies make them...check with them and see what kind of warranty they have...that will give you some idea of the longevity of the product. It is basically a "minibike" clutch so if you use it automatically all the time it will wear quicker than a "normal" clutch...but you can disengage it normally and use it automatically only when you need to. All the ones I have seen only work with a BDL 3" open belt drive. (or BDL clone)
Thanks Tom, the EFM is really just a replacement pressure plate that's suppose to work with any primary configuration. From everything I've read on their site and seen in the videos, it looks very impressive. I'm just hoping to hear some "first hand" experience from folks currently using the ppoduct.

The FAQ from their site reads well:

What does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch do?
The EFM Auto Clutch is a automatic pressure plate designed to work with ANY TYPE OF BIKE. The EFM Auto Clutch allows the rider to take off and stop simply by using the throttle and with out touching the clutch lever. Smooth acceleration and stopping with out the worry of stalling the motorcycle.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch have a warranty?
The EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch comes with a life time warranty material and workmanship.

What models does EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with?
All, no matter what you drive, EFM has been in the motorcycle industry since 1990 and making auto clutch’s for over 10 years. EFM is the manufacturer. We started making the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch 1996. We have them for street bikes and dirt bikes.

What kind of primary does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with.
Any and all, we make them for every type of primary, wet or dry, open or enclosed. EFM has its own engineering department with state of the art CAD-CAM to go from design to working model in 1 DAY--WE ARE THE CLUTCH EXPERTS!

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch automatically shift gears?
No, the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch assembly is a automatic pressure plate. You still have to shift gears. You can still use the clutch also if desired only with MORE HOLDING POWER then any stock or after-market clutch out there.

Do I need to keep the clutch lever?
EFM recommends you still to have a manual clutch lever. You can still use the clutch lever for shifting, but with 1 finger pull for normal shifting rpms.

Do I need to adjust EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
No, once the unit is set up, it will work that way for a long time. Unless you abuse your clutch by taking off in the wrong gear, letting it slip more than normal, etc. you will probably never need to adjust it.

What kind of maintenance will the EFM unit need?
None!

How do I install the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
The EFM unit will replace your stock pressure plate or clutch completely. If you can remove your stock clutch, you can install the EFM unit.

Do I need to modify my bike to fit the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch?
No, this unit is a direct replacement to your stock clutch. Always check after the EFM is installed for clearance, but they are designed to be a direct replacement to a stock unit.

How long does it take to install?
Depending on how many things you have to take off to get to the primary, usually 1- 2 hours.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch void the warranty?
No, Harley-Davidson does not warranty the clutch pack, this is the only thing that can wear out. On the EFM automatic pressure plate, there is NOTHING TO WEAR OUT.

Does the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch work with hydraulic clutch?
Yes, the EFM will work with any type of clutch lever, cable, twist or foot pedal type clutch.

How much horsepower will the EFM No-Stall Auto Clutch hold?
We have tested with 280 hp turbo charged and super charged bikes. We have yet to find one to slip.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a friend with a indy shop here on the Island... They did a chopper with a jockey and this kit... http://www.grandeurcycle.com/parts/Clutch.htm The customer didn't like it and they ended up put back a hand clutch and normal shift lever... I don't know if he didn't like the auto clutch or the whole setup... But they were trying to sell it to me one day... Cheap he says... But who knows what that means... The way I see it everything is pretty much the same beside the pressure plate releasing and engaging with centrifugal pressure... So kinda like an on/off switch.

Now since you have rode a bike with a foot clutch and have already mastered the skills needed to do so... For you it wouldn't be considered cheating... lol

Good luck brah... and if you want me to ask how much the shop wants for the setup i'll be more then happy to check for you.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by story808
I have a friend with a indy shop here on the Island... They did a chopper with a jockey and this kit... http://www.grandeurcycle.com/parts/Clutch.htm The customer didn't like it and they ended up put back a hand clutch and normal shift lever... I don't know if he didn't like the auto clutch or the whole setup... But they were trying to sell it to me one day... Cheap he says... But who knows what that means... The way I see it everything is pretty much the same beside the pressure plate releasing and engaging with centrifugal pressure... So kinda like an on/off switch.

Now since you have rode a bike with a foot clutch and have already mastered the skills needed to do so... For you it wouldn't be considered cheating... lol

Good luck brah... and if you want me to ask how much the shop wants for the setup i'll be more then happy to check for you.
Sure bud, please do check on that for me, I'd really appreciate it. My bike's a 97 FLSTS with stock primary. Many thanks for the assistance.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Chop2000
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm riding a chopper with an EFM centrifugal clutch, and I like it.
I just bought the bike a few months ago and this is the clutch it came with.
Honestly, it's taken a little while to get used to because it's so easy to squeeze the lever, but it's really comfortable. It grabs good. I can start the bike in gear... intentionally or not... ha-ha
I've been curious about it so I'm thinking about taking it apart to see how it works.

Last edited by Chop2000; 05-17-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EFM Automatic Clutch?