Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest installed using Red loctite

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Brad11
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backrest installed using Red loctite

Installed a backrest on my 09 night train using rigid mount sideplates. I'm learning to be more mechanical, so when the dealer wanted a couple hundred to do the job I thought I could twist in a few bolts and do the job myself. When I picked up the parts the guy at the parts counter asked me if I was putting on a permanent backrest and said I would need to put a few drops of loctite on each of the bolts and pointed out which one I should use. Having never used loctite I took what he recommended (Red loctite) and installed my backrest, which by the way, I think looks great.

Problem is that I learned about Red loctite after I installed the backrest and it sounds like this stuff is really permanent.

Does anyone know if I would ever need to remove the backrest sideplates for any maintenance? I like the look of a backrest and do not plan on taking it off, but if I would need to do so for any type of maintenance then I better start working on getting the bolts replaced.

Thanks for the help, Brad..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Ockam
Tourer

I believe for standard maintenance you should be good. Only if they need to remove the rear fender will they have to break the loctite. When the time comes to get a new rear tire, they may want to remove your fender to get to the swing arm.

When I put my detachable sissy bar together I used the blue loctite and that **** is solid.

In the future, pretty much stick to the blue. Red should be used for serious **** like engine bolt mounts. Even handlebars would use the blue instead of the red (so the loctite can be broken and they can be adjusted) Use just enough to put a very fine coat on the threads.

If I am wrong feel free to contradict me.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ockam
I believe for standard maintenance you should be good. Only if they need to remove the rear fender will they have to break the loctite. When the time comes to get a new rear tire, they may want to remove your fender to get to the swing arm.

When I put my detachable sissy bar together I used the blue loctite and that **** is solid.

In the future, pretty much stick to the blue. Red should be used for serious **** like engine bolt mounts. Even handlebars would use the blue instead of the red (so the loctite can be broken and they can be adjusted) Use just enough to put a very fine coat on the threads.

+1 Spot on bro. i Blue LT everything on my scooter.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Why would you remove a fender to put a new tire on? You can always heat the bolts with a heat gun or hair dryer to break the red loose, but blue for anything that may ever need to come off is s much better idea.

Drew

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ockam

Agree on most points but I have yet to ever find a bolt I used RED on via car, bike, or truck I couldn't get off with a hand tool. I rarely use the blue stuff.

For ANY Harley owner/rider this by far is a must have for your garage/shop!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/LOC...acklebox-2PAD7

We use these kits at my job here all the time. Everything you need for your bike/projects is in that kit!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

I installed the permanent mount backrest on my Night Train and the bolts came with blue loctite already on them.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Brad11
Intermediate

Thanks for all the information. First off, my tube of red loctite went in the garbage. I just called the Harley service department (after they discussed it for a while) they came to the conclusion that they would not need to remove the backrest bolts or fender for normal maintenance.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 AM
osrblack
Advanced

I am a red guy as well, I have never not been able to remove a bolt or nut with hand tools. I have used a heat gun on some small allen bolts just to be on the safe side.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Brad11
Intermediate

It was a dummy move on my part. Bolts were already blue, but I put a dot of red on them anyway. That was before I realized there was a difference between the two.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Dig the red out of the garbage, and save it for special needs! There are definitely times you will want to use red loctite over blue, but blue will definitely serve the purpose for most instances. In particular, if you are doing parts that are exposed to high heat, red is the best.

Roger

Quick Reply: Backrest installed using Red loctite