Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM
LFTD1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"

Well I received my rear Ride Wright Wheel, pulley and rotor today. When I went to mount the pulley the factory hardware was an inch to short.

Called up Shawn at Dr-Vtwin who conferenced in Ride Wright and he told me to just buy shorter hardware. I then told him that the pulley appeared not to sit out as far as the factory one did and he stated it shouldnt be an issue.

So I went and picked up some new hardware and bolted everything up and low and behold the belt is rubbing the damn splash guard (about paper thick between the two). You can also see with the belt guard mounted back up it doesn't cover cover the entire belt. Although I may loose that portion of it as I think I like the look better without the belt guard.

So where do I go from here?

Do I need to fab a spacer for the pulley?
Take the splash guard off?
Did I get the wrong pulley as Ride Wrights typically just bolt up?

Lastly is there another way to check the belt tension other than using the gauge from Harley? My nearest stealership is 50 miles away and usually doesn't have crap.

Attached Thumbnails Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"-img_5680.jpg   Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"-img_5681.jpg   Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"-img_5685.jpg   Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"-img_5687.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Just a little lost here..... factory hardware to short,,,, so they said to buy shorter bolts?????

out of line and it shouldn't hurt anything??????

Hows U tire to belt clearance,???? any diff than before...

nothing like have the belt out of whack with the sheaves. that'll make it run straight

Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know about your pulley spacing but one thing that would 100% improve on the looks dept. are some chrome socket head cap screws.. hopefully you didn't scratch that nice pulley with what you have on there now. Got mine at my local indy for about $20.00 somethen bucks

My guess is it looks like your missing a pulley spacer.... I used a 1/2" one on mine but mines not Ride Write.

I'll post a pic so you will get the idea... good luck

Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"-ss-puley-003.jpg

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 02-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good luck!

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 02-21-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 PM
LFTD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Don't know about your pulley spacing but one thing that would 100% improve on the looks dept. are some chrome socket head cap screws.. hopefully you didn't scratch that nice pulley with what you have on there now. Got mine at my local indy for about $20.00 somethen bucks

My guess is it looks like your missing a pulley spacer.... I used a 1/2" one on mine but mines not Ride Write.

I'll post a pic so you will get the idea... good luck

Attachment 168207
Yah I agree on the bolts...but in the one horse town I live in there isnt much selection! One of the main reason I bought RWW was because they were supposedly a direct bolt up. In the front yes, in the rear not so much!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
LFTD1
Cruiser

With all the Ride Wright owners on here I figured someone would have some insight.

Guess I will call up Ride Wright tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't going to be any help but Damn, that's a nice looking pulley. Probably going to be a future mod for me if I ever have some extra $$$.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM
LFTD1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gforrest2
This isn't going to be any help but Damn, that's a nice looking pulley. Probably going to be a future mod for me if I ever have some extra $$$.
Thanks man...yeah its a big improvement. If anything I will just sit in the garage have a few beers and admire it until I can fab a spacer. Good thing my pops has a lathe and a few CNC's

Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Yeah Bro as stated the wheels and pulley look great.I agree with BnC 09 .I think that is a crime in 32 States to put regular hardware on that beauty.I would just call Ride Wright today they must have spacers to fix your problem.You shouldn't have to fab up any thing. Let them take care of it.From everything I have heard their customer service is second to none.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Let me see if i can get you a pulley spacer today. I am not sure what the issue is but i will sort it out for you. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and I will see this through.

Drew

Quick Reply: Ride Wright Pulley/Belt Fitment Issue "Need Help"