Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had the HD cooler on my Fatbob and then put a Jagg 10 row cooler on my 09 Ultra Classic. Did not see a difference between either. Now im on a Fatboy Lo and dont know if ill even put one on. Im waiting until summer to decide. I dont know if im going to change the exhaust or air cleaner because ive always gone that route. If i keep the stock setup, then i may put an oil cooler on, and will just stick with the HD cooler. HD is easier when it comes to oil changes at the oil filter at the filter. In other words, if you have to put one on, just stick with the HD oil cooler. Hope it helps.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:13 AM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts
Default My Opinion

I live in Chandler, Az. so oil coolers are a must. I haven't tried the Harley oil cooler, but I have tried the Jagg 10 row, the Ultra-Cool, and now I'm running the cooler from a Buel Ulysses with the air scoop on it and two Delta fans (not computer fans, don't move enough air) behind it. The current set up works the best. It was about 75 degrees today and when I was stopped at traffic lights I saw oil temps of 205. As soon I got moving it dropped to 185 and when I hit the highway it dropped to 175. 30 degrees difference is alot. The fans have a max of 135 cfm. I have some that will move twice that amount, might have to go there this summer when the temps are in the 110+ range. As for the Ultra-Cool, I never noticed any difference in oil temperatures. It has a very small heat exchanger. In fact, one day last summer when it was 106 degrees I bypassed it and didn't see any increase in oil temps. I put the Jagg 10 row on and it brought the oil temp down about 10 degrees, probably not bad when it's 106 in the shade. The Ultra-Cool really looks good though.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM
JBourquin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I live in SoCal and in the summer time, once you get out of the LA Basin it can get seriously hot.

I put the Harley Oil Cooler on my bike and used an electronic thermocouple to measure the oil temperature so as to validate the dip stick Thermometer. What a shock the Dip Stick Thermometer was totally accurate. Anyhow, before Oil Coller I regularly saw 250 F+ Oil Temperatures. after Oil Cooler I don't think I've ever seen over 230 F and that was in 112 F Temperatures coming across the Nevada Desert on my way to Sturgis last summer.

If I wanted a cooling fan, I'd simply add a computer cooling fan. They can be had for 12 Volts DC and they are small enough to fit behind the HD Oil Cooler. But so far haven't had the need because we can split lanes in California and so getting stuck in traffic isn't the problem here that it might be somewhere else. Do a Google Shopping search for "12 Volt Computer Cooling Fan" they can be had for less than $5.
That's a great idea except that I'm pretty sure those fan motors aren't sealed. First time you get caught in the rain and it's probably not gonna work again.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JBourquin
That's a great idea except that I'm pretty sure those fan motors aren't sealed. First time you get caught in the rain and it's probably not gonna work again.
I will be talking to Robert from UltraCool tomorrow and will get the full specs regarding the fan motor, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a product for a motorcycle that is not water proof.

Drew

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I will be talking to Robert from UltraCool tomorrow and will get the full specs regarding the fan motor, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a product for a motorcycle that is not water proof.

Drew
I just got done checking out two different clocks: One stated water proof and the other water resistant. Based on looks, I would have probably picked the water resistant one until reading the print closely. Just checking out motorcycle options in case that new speedo/tach doesn't actually have a clock.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN

Drew
I was responding to the post regarding using a $5 CPU cooling fan on a motorcycle.(as quoted in my post) I'm sure if someone was making a cooling set-up for a motorcycle to sell to the public, they would more than likely be using a sealed motor.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
... If I wanted a cooling fan, I'd simply add a computer cooling fan. They can be had for 12 Volts DC and they are small enough to fit behind the HD Oil Cooler. But so far haven't had the need because we can split lanes in California and so getting stuck in traffic isn't the problem here that it might be somewhere else. Do a Google Shopping search for "12 Volt Computer Cooling Fan" they can be had for less than $5.
This is exactly what I did. 3 computer fans. You can only see two in the picture , the third is mounted behind. The fans cost less than $20 for all three. I did modify the fans to improve their vibration resistance and waterproof them. Not exactly what I would call "marketable", but a great option for the do-it-yourselfer.

Don't expect miracles from the fans though. I did some testing and although they do make some difference in oil temps at a standstill, it's not really all that much.

Attached Thumbnails Harley oil cooler-oil-cooler-fans-023.jpg   Harley oil cooler-oil-cooler-fans-030.jpg   Harley oil cooler-oil-cooler-fans-002.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 PM
JBourquin
Road Master

What did you do to water proof them?

Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

What did you do to water proof them?
See the picture of the two fans disassembled?

The red you see is an alkyd enamel conformal coating made for electronics that has been applied to all of the motor windings and circuit board to seal them. I also used some clear epoxy to seal some of the larger gaps between the circuit card and the housing.

The only thing that isn't 100% waterproof is the bearings but they are pretty well concealed. You'd have to submerge the fan to get any appreciable amount of water to them.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Champ150
Stage I
Default check this out

bigskyfan.tripod.com/