Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing the tank's center console?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Losing the tank's center console?

Hello all,
I got a lot of good advice on the last question. Hopefully this one will be a bit easier. I am getting ready to buy a 2011 Fat Boy Lo.

I don't like the big center console on the tank. I am planning on relocating the speedo to the handlebar and the ignition to somewhere else. I would like to either change the center console cover to something very low profile, or find a good replacement tank with the fuel hole in the middle.

I called a parts company, but they said that the FBL tank is different, using a different fuel pump and that custom tanks are not available. Sounds strange, and I spoke to another person who said that it should be possible to take the tank from another bike that doesn't use the huge console and it would work.

Another possible option is the tank from a Blackline, which looks pretty good and the dealership says it will fit the FBL.

Here are a couple pictures of something I really like the look of. But do these custom tanks limit what you can use for a seat? I find the stock seat very comfortable.

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails Losing the tank's center console?-tank1.jpg   Losing the tank's center console?-tank2.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

With out knowing the length of the tank can't say for sure. But, by looking at it, you won't be using the stock lo seat. The seat on the lo only comes up on the tank about an 1" or so. The tank on the lo does not have a center cut out like the one in the pic.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 02-16-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:51 PM
SMF
Banned

You can always just grind down the tank and fill in the holes, less money because you can diy and if you want that extended look they sell the lower parts for you just to tac weld on and a lil bondo and your ready for paint bro.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

What I most like about that tank is the very low profile center panel and single hole. I also like the wider body, and the way it sort of arcs, but I guess that arc is due to the extension on it.

Mainly, if I could find a regular length tank that will work with the Fat Boy, with a low center console like that one, I'll be plenty happy.

Has anyone else swapped out tanks? Anyone heard of this problem with the fuel pumps on the newer models?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it could work on a FBL but if you're going to swap tanks check out Washington choppers. They have a piece that completely eliminates the dash. All you have to do is paint to match.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master
Old 02-17-2011, 08:46 AM
SMF
Banned

Looks like you'll still have weld up the holes and then put that dash in

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

Weld which holes?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Thanks, Wiseguy2day, that looks pretty good, though I do kind of like a slightly raised spot down the center. I definitely prefer the wide, low tanks. I'll have to see if that one would work on the Lo. Can't believe they want $225 for that one piece of metal, though.

BOBBEREVO88, I'd be ok with the two holes. I can use the flush mount caps. As for the dash, I plan on somehow hanging the speedo and idiot lights under the handlebar.

Does a Fat Bob tank work on a Fat Boy Lo? I see a lot of these out there, but very few mentions of a Fat Boy tank.

Also, many of these tanks have a recessed area between the tanks where the speedo console would go. If that area is not used for that, I wonder if it could be changed into a small storage compartment? Seems it would be handy for registration and such.

Last edited by Wabbit; 02-17-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wabbit, a guy just posted a custom tank he made that will bolt right on your lo. No dash and no speedo. It was almost like he made it for you. He just started a thread on it today in the softail section, check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Losing the tank's center console?