Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

P

Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Hang Around
Default 98 fatboy rear wheel problem

Hello, i just had new tires done for my 98 fatboy. The front wheel went back on with no problems, but the back wheel did not. I put it on and took it for a test ride, i noticed it was rubbing the belt guard, so i put it back up on the jack. Thats when i realized that the spacer on the left side (the bigger spacer) could slide back and fourth for about a half inch. I have no idea why, other than maybe a bearing fell out and i didnt see it. Does anybody know what the problem is? I'm going to have to buy a service manual to figure it out i guess, but i thought i would post it here to see what yall think. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Sponsor

The longer spacer does go on the left, but something is definitely wrong. Did you put the right side spacer back on?

Drew
Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Elite HDF Member

yeah what drew said! did you put the narrower right side spacer on?? and both bearings in??
shouldnt be a prob??pretty strange, wouldnt think the bearing would just fall out?

"FXSTD"
95" 37andrews cams
70 camaro,402
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Road Master

From the right side the axle goes thru the swing-arm first... then the rear brake arm... then the smaller of the two spacers... then the wheel... other side spacer (larger of the two)... then the left side swing-arm. If it's not right it won't tighten up snug.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Hang Around

I know I took off my back wheel on my 97 fatboy and I had three spacers I think one on the break side and two on the belt side. I will check for sure when I get home.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Elite HDF Member

There is a small spacer on each side, that go into the grease seals. Sometimes guys forget to pull them out when they bring a wheel in to have the tire changed.

Sounds like one of the small spacers stayed with the wheel when you brought it in for the tire change, and somewhere along the way it came out. The small spacers are about 3/4" long.

There is also a longer spacer, it goes outboard of the small spacer, on the left side.

Trace back your footsteps, you will find that spacer, in garage, trunk of car/truck, or maybe the shop yanked it out and forgot to get it back to you.

Note: To be on the safe side, you should remove the wheel, and pop out the grease seals and bearings and inspect the bearings to make sure they did not get damaged from running without the spacer. If you didn`t re-pack the bearings with grease, now is the time, front ones too...

I repack both front and rear wheel bearings every time I change a rear tire, still have the original bearings in my `89, with 135,000 miles on them.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-28-2011 at 08:15 PM..
Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Hang Around

that is what i just found as well on my bike as well. Good luck on your search...
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Hang Around

thanks guys. i do not have a small spacer on the left side. the one on the right side is still there and the big one on the left side is there, but no other spacer. i'll ask the shop if they have it because i dont see it around my work area. thanks everyone.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 AM

P