Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Relocation w/ Shorai Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM
bradleym03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boneziff
What kind of charger will you need for a lith ion? I know the deltran battery tender isn't gonna do it.

They sell special chargers for these batteries on their website.

http://www.shoraipower.com/c-5-chargers.aspx

Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 AM
AKHD
Tourer

Originally Posted by boneziff
What kind of charger will you need for a lith ion? I know the deltran battery tender isn't gonna do it.
Just to be clear, these are Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries not Lithium Ion and most of what I've read says you shouldn't really need to use a charger.

I've been using a couple from other mfg's in a couple other bikes for a few years now with great results.

These batteries are SO light and it's kinda nice taking 10lbs off some bikes.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKHD
Just to be clear, these are Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries not Lithium Ion and most of what I've read says you shouldn't really need to use a charger.

I've been using a couple from other mfg's in a couple other bikes for a few years now with great results.

These batteries are SO light and it's kinda nice taking 10lbs off some bikes.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
I just found this company last week and their battery technology is called lithium ferrous. The AGM OEM battery for my Fatboy was a monster and weighed 15.4 lbs the 12 cell model from this company weighs about 2.5 lbs and has more CCA's........410 vs 370. They are worth a look......quite a bit smaller also. They also say that you don't need a tender because these don't loose power.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ies/12cell.php

Old 02-13-2012, 05:53 AM
bigmatt1967
Intermediate
Default ecm relocation

How is the cranking power on that batery i hav a 2007 night train doing the rsd fender now with vintage seat. 96 inch and cams

Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigmatt1967
How is the cranking power on that batery i hav a 2007 night train doing the rsd fender now with vintage seat. 96 inch and cams
I just got done doing the same mod... Was not able to use the Shorai battery or Ballistic because wouldn't crank my 96CI on an 08 Crossbones...Brad who started this post has been able to use it with good results. I went back to the stock battery and moved my ECM behind the oil tank.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
turtle2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jharanin
I just got done doing the same mod... Was not able to use the Shorai battery or Ballistic because wouldn't crank my 96CI on an 08 Crossbones...Brad who started this post has been able to use it with good results. I went back to the stock battery and moved my ECM behind the oil tank.
410 CCA on the Ballistic, thats more than stock which is 390 CCA??

Old 02-14-2012, 05:46 AM
jharanin
Road Master

Originally Posted by turtle2
410 CCA on the Ballistic, thats more than stock which is 390 CCA??
Because they are lithium batteries they rated differently than a traditional lead acid battery...trust me the job would have been a whole lot easier if if had been able to use the Ballistic battery.

The Ballistic battery only has a short burst (maybe 5 seconds at 410 cca) then it drops off significantly. It will rebound and give you another shot at starting...and it may eventually get started but the wear on the battery will kill,it at some point. I just thought it would be better to go with the set up I have and feel comfortable on the road.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master

jahrinin, dont you need to get some special battery anyways to use that rsd kit? i didnt think the regular battery size would work with these kits?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 AM
jharanin
Road Master

Originally Posted by Green Hornet
jahrinin, dont you need to get some special battery anyways to use that rsd kit? i didnt think the regular battery size would work with these kits?

Stock battery will work with the RSD fender & seat kits as long as you relocate the ECM.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master

good info thanks

Quick Reply: ECM Relocation w/ Shorai Battery