Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake pad replace 09 Crossbones

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Crossbones Andy
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake pad replace 09 Crossbones

I would like to replace the rear pads on my 09 Crossbones. I did the fronts a while back no problem but reading the Clymer manual for my bike and then looking at the rears this looks like a major PITA.

I purchased the 12 star socket needed to release the single small pin but when I went to look at the job there seems no space to get working. Earlier models seemed a lot easier where just the pins are removed!! Clymer says loosen the brake pin (easier said then done because the arm of the rear subframe blocks it out) before removing the big bolts then remove caliper and remove pads. They say....removing exhaust will make job easier...but it looks like even with the exhaust off the mounting plate for the exhaust will need to come off to.

I want to do this work but would like to disturb as few bolts as possible....seized bolts and I don't get on and I don't have access to a helicoil kit so would like to minimise my chances of having to trailer my bike to a machine shop to undo the damage I have caused.

Anyone got any TOP TIPS on the easiest way to get to the rear pads on an 09 softie......

many thanks

Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just changed the rear pads on my rocker along with other work I was doing. The caliper was already removed from the bracket and I was able to remove the pad retaining bolt no problem. Took a little effort because it was awkward holding the caliper in my hand, but no biggie. This is on a bike with 13k miles.