Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lacing and Spokes on 21 x 3.25" rim with stock hub

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
PunkTrain
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lacing and Spokes on 21 x 3.25" rim with stock hub

Does anyone know if the stock spokes and stock hub from my 2000 night train will work with the 21 x 3.25" 40 Spoke Jireh Rim band? If you need more detail on the rim band, you can navigate here

I've never laced up a wheel but thought it would be a good challenge and I would get the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. I searched on the forum for more info but wasn't able to find much info on this for softails. I found some good info on dynas but wasn't sure if it would apply? Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will work. Lacing the wheel isn't the issue. Truing the wheel is.....

Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 PM
bbeavers76
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tx_Outlaw
It will work. Lacing the wheel isn't the issue. Truing the wheel is.....
Exactly. Save yourself the headache and time. Have someone do it that knows what they are doing. There is an art to it.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM
PunkTrain
Intermediate

First of all, I briefly read about the accident you were in TX_Outlaw and hope you are doing better and get well very soon. Also, thanks for the quick replies.

I attempted to lace it up last weekend but felt like the spokes were too long. I followed the same pattern I have on my current setup. Half of the spokes were sticking out about an inch off the rim band. I guess that's why I ask if the stock spokes are too long? The spokes I have are all the same length with a 90 degree bend on the end. I know truing will be the hard part, but I plan on taking that to a professional.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
blackbike_17
Cruiser

i have the same rim you have, and ran into same problem using my factory hub/spokes from my 06 standard. first 30 went in easy and last 10 were to long!? so we dropped it off at a shop and waiting to here back from them. sucks but, hope it turns out sweet!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM
PunkTrain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blackbike_17
i have the same rim you have, and ran into same problem using my factory hub/spokes from my 06 standard. first 30 went in easy and last 10 were to long!? so we dropped it off at a shop and waiting to here back from them. sucks but, hope it turns out sweet!
Let me know how it turns out and also let me know if they were able to get it laced up with the stock spokes and hub.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

I was curious about this too. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM
blackbike_17
Cruiser

when i dropped it off they were guessing either ordering custom spokes or cutting them. he was going to bring it to another guy who has cut them and re-thread them. hope neither of the two choices cost an arm and leg.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
PunkTrain
Intermediate

Originally Posted by blackbike_17
when i dropped it off they were guessing either ordering custom spokes or cutting them. he was going to bring it to another guy who has cut them and re-thread them. hope neither of the two choices cost an arm and leg.
So it sounds like the stock spokes will not work without some modification. Keep me up to date on what your guy comes up with (custom spokes or cutting them?) and if it ended up costing an arm and a leg. Thanks blackbike!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PunkTrain
Does anyone know if the stock spokes and stock hub from my 2000 night train will work with the 21 x 3.25" 40 Spoke Jireh Rim band? If you need more detail on the rim band, you can navigate here

I've never laced up a wheel but thought it would be a good challenge and I would get the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. I searched on the forum for more info but wasn't able to find much info on this for softails. I found some good info on dynas but wasn't sure if it would apply? Any help or direction would be much appreciated.

Hey PT,

great looking train, is that the covington exhaust your running?

curious how it sounds, is it loud? and if you can you run pegs for a pillion with it?

thanks

Dan

Quick Reply: Lacing and Spokes on 21 x 3.25" rim with stock hub