Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom audio installation

Old 07-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Wayne Auld
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boom Installation

Originally Posted by baldharleyrider
Where does the red wire with grey plug go? Have an 03 road king but can't find any where the b+ connector would go. Have everything else ready to spliced together.

It was real hard to understand what they wanted connected where. A buddy and I found the orange/white wire coming from the tail light. It was on the right side facing forward. It was inside shrink wrap. mine had a beige plug that we disconnected and found the same wire on the opposite side of the harness. we peeled back the shrink wrap and cut the wire and tie it into the wire that the instructions said. the black fuse wire that came with the boom, we connected it to the positive side of the battery and the red wire on the boom. the black wire we used a wire connector and hooked it to the bike from where all the other stuff was grounded. I'm almost sure the white wire on the boom is what we connected to the tail light wire. That way you have power in IGN or ACC position.
The instructions said to look for a plug under the seat down beside the battery, Damn if I could find a plug, so I went and bought the CLYMER HD manual for 02 FLSTC and it didn't show a plug. Harley had a red wire with a grey connector in the bag that we dint use at all. That's the wire that was confusing us. The excess wire from the amp is wrapped up and tied off down under the fuel tank. Hope this helps.
Ride Safe:
Wayne

Old 07-04-2011, 08:54 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah, they make it sound so hard. Why not just say Black to negative, Red to positive, and the last wire goes to the orange and white wire, all found under the seat.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Bodark8
Stage I
Default boom audio on a 99 heritage

I installed it on a 99 heritage softail. You don't have a grey plug but a ring fitting to the batery workd the same. I installed the windshield pod speakers on the stock windshield by putting a second cross brace above the one already there. I found it on e-bay for $20 with shipping. It was off a 2003 bike so the holes matched.

Attached Thumbnails Boom audio installation-img_0097.jpg   Boom audio installation-img_0098.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
brak4222
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found my orange/white on the right side as well. It was buried a bit, but I didn't have to open up and wire wraps or casings. I just used a scotchlock connector to splice in and it worked great. I'm at a year with it and over 5000 miles with no issues.

I bought a 3rd party system made by Unique Sounds. The amp is in my tour pak and the speakers are fully weatherproof. I've been through many straight hours of rain with no problems. For volume, I have a little dial right in front of my seat. It's hidden but accessible. For my music source, I just throw my iPhone on shuffle in the tour pak.

Another plus of my system is that I can take the windshield off at any time as it isn't part of my system...

Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 AM
roadkng63
Novice
Default boom audio

same here i have 2003 road king got the handle bar mounted boom audio for christmas can't find a plug either besides the data link. so going to battery i guess has anyone had to put on a noise resistor going to battery or not i had a mh insterments system on but had to use resistor not sure if needed for this system.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Longer
Stage III
Default 1996 heritage nostalgia

How did u install it did run wires to the battery

Old 03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
WolfEyes
Stage I
Default just a thought

Hey Bros,
just out of curiousity..did anyone notice on the side of the box that some models require sepperate purchase of an electrical connect p/n 72673-11?

the 3 wires from the unit get crimped and heat shrinked to the middle of this jumper..then just undo the connection under the seat and put this in between..no cutting and splicing requiered (which could void warranty)

hope this helps

Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM
JerryJ
Stage II

I just installed the system on my 08 Heritage and the gray connector was buried down in front of the battery. It isn't really visable but after a little digging I found it. I like the sound quality when driving but I'd be interested if anyone else is hearing a lot of RF noise when powered on? I suspect it needs a shielded power wire. Anyone else experiencing this?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:02 PM
MrRodster
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerryJ
I just installed the system on my 08 Heritage and the gray connector was buried down in front of the battery. It isn't really visable but after a little digging I found it. I like the sound quality when driving but I'd be interested if anyone else is hearing a lot of RF noise when powered on? I suspect it needs a shielded power wire. Anyone else experiencing this?
Hey JerryJ, I also want to install the system on my 2008 Heritage. Does it go directly to the windshield or did you have to do any mod? And did you buy part 69200397 mentioned on the description?

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
pbpuzzle
Stage II
Default windshield bag over boom audio speaker

I have the windshield mount boom audio speaker. Was wondering if a "touring type" windshield bag would fit over it?