Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end not straight

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You can also loosen the lower bolts of the risers (that may require your head light or not), do what Tom said (pushing the bars straight, have someone hold them and retighten those nuts, use a torque wrench and go with close to the upper range of the spec torque
Will fix your problems for a few weeks, until you get better bushings.
I have 'solid' bushings' for my apes and they rock.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It went in for a service the other week and I asked him to fix it, he loosened the clamps jerked it straight, and it was fine until I he took it for a test ride, and it was exactly the same, which is what he said it would do. I told him to do it anyway just to humour me. but he was right, as many of you were.
I'm going to live with it, maybe fit the poly bushes when I get the Freight train Nacelle and Burly's fitted.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
01fxst
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...

I just put mine against the stop (full lock left or right and I don't hold the tire) and twist the bars the way I want them to go.
I guess it twists the bushings in the top triple tree clamp.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:05 AM
cwbassman
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my FXST new in Los Angeles back in 2001. Wasn't until a year or so later I noticed the front end a bit wonky to the right. Dealers of course were looking at it like two monkeys trying to have sex with a football and after replacing handlebars (twice), triple tree & fork tubes (over $1k) by dealers, it was never corrected. Couple of years ago a small indy shop I started going to in Orange County, Ca looked at it, replaced the riser bushings and HOLY HELL MONKEYS...straightened it out! They must have used the stock rubber bushings 'cause it's going back to cockeyed again. I'm going see about them poly bushings now...

AND...bought me a 2015 FLSTC at Bike Week here in South Carolina a couple of months ago and it's doing the same thing!!! LOL!! But I found me an indy shop here that, like the other indy shops I used in SoCal seem to actually CARE about me and my ride or at the very least, they pretend to care. And they listen. After owning two Harleys for over 15 years, I found the scariest, most unfriendly place on this planet is the service department of any HD dealer. It's not the people so much but more the culture of the HD business model.

'nuff said! I'm off the soap box. Everybody out there! BE SAFE & ride like there's no tomorrow!

Adios, muchachos y muchachas!

The following users liked this post:
SPARKY01 (07-30-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 09:01 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
My Deluxe front end dont look straight, the bike tracks great, no pulling to one side or anything like that, its just that when your going in a straight line the bars are ever so slightly out, and I mean only a little, a mate of mine couldnt even see it, but I know its there and its pissin me off.
The bars are not bent or anything so I dont know what it could be other than its not been put together right, there are no signs of it being dropped either.
Any ideas
they're all like that I think. I have had 2 Softails and 2 Baggers. Of course you can't tell on the baggers but on both my 07 Night Train and my current 14 Fattie it seems like the handlebers are off in relation to the forks. It tracks perfectly but I am a little **** on things like this. However I have gotten over it I guess in my old (er) age..lol. I did swap out my bushings from rubber to poly but it only help very very little. If you want to correctly fix it you have to loosen up EVERY bolt and nut from the axle up to the triple tree including the fender bolts. then line it up til your satisfied and retighten. RIDE SAFE!

heybaylor (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SPARKY01
they're all like that I think. I . If you want to correctly fix it you have to loosen up EVERY bolt and nut from the axle up to the triple tree including the fender bolts. then line it up til your satisfied and retighten. RIDE SAFE!

Here is the correct answer,
Poster Sparky gets five points

SPARKY01 (07-31-2016)