Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end not straight

Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front end not straight

My Deluxe front end dont look straight, the bike tracks great, no pulling to one side or anything like that, its just that when your going in a straight line the bars are ever so slightly out, and I mean only a little, a mate of mine couldnt even see it, but I know its there and its pissin me off.
The bars are not bent or anything so I dont know what it could be other than its not been put together right, there are no signs of it being dropped either.
Any ideas

Old 03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts

After I was cut off by a car and plowed into it my front end was out of whack, but like you described, only a little bit. No one but me noticed.

You ever crash a bicycle and the wheel went crooked? Same principal. To fix mine I loosened all the triple tree bolts and tweaked it all until it was perfect, then tightened it all back down.

Not sure why yours would be crooked, but that might do the trick. When I did it I had access to a rack and a wheel chock so the bike was perfectly strait. When I was finished, the little crook was gone.

Perhaps a professional will come on here and have a better idea.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to have the tank changed on my '10 Heritage, after I got it back I would have sworn the front end was jacked up. WTF, right? Turned out the console was not put back on straight, just a little bit crooked and it gave the illusion that my front end was not straight. Moved the console about an 1/8" and all was well. It bugged the S#*t of me till I figured it out.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
My Deluxe front end dont look straight, the bike tracks great, no pulling to one side or anything like that, its just that when your going in a straight line the bars are ever so slightly out, and I mean only a little, a mate of mine couldnt even see it, but I know its there and its pissin me off.
The bars are not bent or anything so I dont know what it could be other than its not been put together right, there are no signs of it being dropped either.
Any ideas

Usually the problem is the bars are crooked because of the rubber bushings. You can put your tire against the curb and tweek the bars till they are straight...but they are not likely to stay. If it bothers you that bad you can get some poly bushings or just ignore it.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where do the poly bushes go? and are they a HD part?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah i agree with the bushings.. when i crashed my Sportster in 08, i picked it up and the handlebars looked straight to everyone, but i saw the change and felt it too.. turns out it was a compressed bushing.. the bushings are in your tripletrees, between the bottom of the handlebar risers, and the bolt that holds them on underneath.. you can get them from HD, but other hardware stores sell them too.. idk the part number..

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
CCDluxe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same issue - was able to loosen the risers/clamp and adjust it and line it back up.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (11-15-2016)
Old 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Any Harleys that I've taken out for a spin seem to be the same. I noticed it when I first got mine, and wasn't sure if maybe it was just in my head. Not sure what the real cause is, but I quickly learn to just keep my eyes on the road and not worry about it.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
HEMI Army
Cruiser

My crooked dash console made me think my front end was wonky, until I realized it was just my crooked dash console.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 AM
billsantos
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Any ideas
Mine was the same way if you mean left or right..turned out the risiers weren't straight..Here's a start if you haven't done so already..with the forks straight, from the seat, sight over the riser to see if it is square (in line) with the top of the triple tree.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end not straight