Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Heritage Classic circuit breaker

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
a1SlowHand
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Heritage Classic circuit breaker

Howdy all,

New member here that's been reading the posts for a while.
I have a couple of questions for any members that could help.

I went to start my bike a couple of days ago and got a pop, then no starter action, no lights, horn, etc. The only power I had is to a aux switch that is routed directly to the battery. The battery has 12.3 Volts so that part is good. I have the HD shop manual for my year and model and have seen how to service the breaker area.

I've read on here that HD did a recall on some of the touring models and replaced the 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp.
I've also read where the crimped wires at the breaker sometimes causes problems.

So I was wondering if I should go for the 50 amp breaker? Mine is fuel injected. If so would they be available at an auto parts store?

If I'm going to work on the crimped wire ends would I need to take the rear tire off in order to have enough room to preform the work? Or can it be done with the tire on?

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

No need to remove your tire. I replaced mine on my 2002 a few months back. I believe I got a 40 amp one and it is fine. You can get them at the dealer for $10 or so. Just amke srue you crimp real well and tighten down the bolts on it nice and tight. My bikes is EFI too.

The reason i had an issue is that I was running a metal splash guard and the circuit breaker came out of it's clamp and bounced off the metal splash guard shorting out the bike and damaging the circuit breaker. Once I pulled it out I could see it was shot as it was cracked. I had the same results, no power to the bike at all.

Drew

Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 AM
a1SlowHand
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dr. V,
Knowing that I don't have to take that rear tire off, I should be able to find the time to do this rather quickly.