Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly cable kit any good?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Burly cable kit any good?

OK well here is the deal. I have been planning to install apes on my bike for about a a year or more. I have finally gathered about everything I need I think...

I have a set of Nash gimps 16"
poly bushings
drag specialties 1.70 " risers (using stock top clamp)

I need the cables etc...

I see burly makes a complete 16" kit. I want to know if this is a good option and if anyone had issues with this kit. Seems to be the logical route as it can be found for around 175-200 online. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

-= Subscribed =-

Old 04-01-2011, 06:08 AM
TCannon22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the middle of this process myself. The reason I decided not to go with the burly kit was that everything looked like the stock black rubber coated stuff I already had. For me it was worth a few more bucks to get the braided stainless cables and brake lines.
I went with a pre wired kit from HCC. The bars are wild 1 chubby's, the lines and cable are braided stainless, and the wires already have HD chrome switches at one end and factory plugs at the other.
If you like the look of the black rubber lines, the burly kit does look like a good deal though

Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM
FXBadass
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burly has the best bang for the buck. Complete cable kit for under $200 is great also. It's great if you like the look of the stockers, or have a blacked out bike. The clutch cables are lube free as they have the inner sheathing over the cable. They just realeased Dyna and Softail model cables this year. Unfortunatetly I went with Sterling Chromite II cables due to unavailability last year for anything but Sportster. I have purchased two different generation Sportster sets, and no issues. Fits like a glove and comes with all wire extensions including signal wires, new clutch pin and throttle cable ends. They appear to be well made with great workmanship. Just my 2 cent opinion.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

They are a fine kit. If you are okay with the black rubber look then go for it. I can get it for you as well. that being said I sell 5 times more Magnum cables than I do of the Burly's. I would rather spend a few more dollars and get Magnums. I run Magnums on my ride.

Drew

Old 04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

Dr.: when you say a few extra bucks do you mean double? I got about $450 in my cables, but of course Canadians pay way more too.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I wasn't sure because the company states that the kit is designed for the burly narrow apes and I am running the nash gimps. they are 16" rise I just want to be right.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FXBadass
Dr.: when you say a few extra bucks do you mean double? I got about $450 in my cables, but of course Canadians pay way more too.
I'll get them for you for less than that. Ouch! Pm or email me.

Drew

Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

Your right about the ouch part! I got mine last august, so too late now. Good to know for future ref though. I bought a shorter clutch cable in December cause all that was in stock without a long wait was a 74", and I'm replacing it with a 71 ish. So I really have $550 in cables, haha.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM
FXBadass
Tourer

Originally Posted by cweiss
I wasn't sure because the company states that the kit is designed for the burly narrow apes and I am running the nash gimps. they are 16" rise I just want to be right.
Check with Burly to see what they say about fitment. My wife's bike (06 XL1200L) has the Burly Narrow Glide 14's and she got the 14" kit. They fit alright on the 36" wide bars, but the cables could accomodate another couple of inches in width easily (especially the wire extensions). Their cables I believe are sized for a 1-1/2" or 2" riser, so if you go with a taller one, take that into consideration also. The base of the narrow glides are somewheres between 9-10" for reference, where wideglide bars are between 12-13" at the base. Do you know your widths? I'm about to install my stock 10" mini apes on my son's 98 XL1200C with his stock 5" riser. Where the bars are only 32" wide, I got the Burly 12" kit. I measured my wife's bike for reference where the top of the tripples are at the same height. His bars will be 1" less vertical rise, and due to the narrower width, I knew the 14" would bunch the cables too much. Measure twice and buy once.

The following users liked this post:
LowSpeeeJames (09-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Burly cable kit any good?