Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road king custom bags on another softail (detachable)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 PM
shooker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road king custom bags on another softail (detachable)

I've been wanting to get some bigger bags than the little fatboy bags I've got now. I don't really like havin bags hangin off my bike, but as you all know sometimes ya need em. So anyway i like the look of the road king custom bags so I found a pair kinda cheap but I want them to be easily detachable. I have barebacks on the bags I have now so I figured i could try to use them for these, has any one tried to do this, I've done a search and didn't find anything. So any ideas ya got would would be great thanks.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You really need a bagger tail for those bags due to their size.

Drew

Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM
shooker
Road Master

Yeah, I know your probably right but man that's a lot of hardware and not so detachable. I've seen bigger bags without all the bagger tail hardwear so I've gotta at least give it a shot.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
furtrader
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the exact same thing, and was in your situation with the RK bags. I went with the CYCLE visions in chrome from drew. I'm saving for some glass painted bags and you can use the same brackets for those too.

I wanted the quick detach and no hardware, like the ghost brackets, my bags even hard plastic/leather oem would be way to "saggy" without something on the bottom.

+1 cycle visions, & drew the DR.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

The only way to properly mount the FL Bags is with a Bagger Tail. With out support on the bottom those things will be very floppy and you will end up breaking the bags at the mounts.

Over the years there have been threads where they have tried EZ Brackets, Ghost Brackets and just bolting them up to the struts and it never works out well.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
shooker
Road Master

I got one mocked up today. I think the positioning is ok it's a little further back than I would like it but thats the best I could do with where I could fit the bare backs.Now i just have to figure out a way to stiffin it up.

1st i'm going to try to cut a piece aluminum diamond plate to fit in the molded area.
2nd I'm going to try and reinforce that with some 3/8 round bar like the brackets on some other bags.
Thats the plan we'll see what happens. If anybody see's a flaw in this plan please let me know. suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited by shooker; 04-08-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
shooker
Road Master

Sorry screwed up postin Pics

Old 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm interested to see how these hold. I'm a bagger tail man and that's the only thing that will hold my bags as I don't want to lose them, but I'll bet you make this work nicely.

Drew

Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
You really need a bagger tail for those bags due to their size.

Drew
I gotta chime in here and agree. They're big bags, and can't see them hanging on a couple of posts off the struts.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree with previous posts. I just dont see the plastic not breaking. I could see it if you make an internal bracket but then you are taking up more inside space. I played around with trying to make my own but ended up giving in and getting brackets. Hope you can make it work and I would love to see if you do.

Quick Reply: Road king custom bags on another softail (detachable)