Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

P

Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Gas Gauge Removal

I tried searching for this but no luck. I want to switch the gas caps on my 2010 FatBoy Lo with custom made ones from Leroy Thompson to match my floorboards and grips. They are sending me a pair for free to R&D them($130 each). I want to know if I can just unhook the gauge and screw on the new cap? Also how to unhook the gauge. I'm hoping that I can use the miles to empty feature on the speedo or will taking away the gauge screw that up? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Road Warrior

If it is the same as the heritages the gauge is just pressed into the hole on the left side, a slow rocking motion while pulling up on it and it will pop out. The wires that go through the tank have a connector just below where the gauge is under the tank. It can be disconnected there but you will have to pull the pins out of the connector to feed the wires through to remove the gauge. The gauge function should not affect the speedo functions, to test that, go under the tank and unhook the fuel gauge connector and then take a ride around the block and see if the speedo readings are still what you expect.
Mine - 2004 FLSTCI, 98" FuelMoto BB, D&D Fatcat, Thundermax, Mustang saddle, Cyclevision Go Forward, harleyGoodies extensions, Chrome toolbox, LED Lights all around.. Hers - 2007 XL1200L Burly Drop front and rear, X14iED's, Motherwell rack, HD Super Reach Seat, Laydown HD chrome plate with turn signal relocation, PullBack risers & speedo from a 1200C, Chrome forwards
Old 04-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Sponsor

Unplug the gas gauge and pull up. The gas cap, I am not sure. J/K. Unscrew the cap and throw it at your neighbor who complains when you start your bike at 5am.

Drew
Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Ultimate HDF Member
SPECTREtoo7

I think part of the question he is asking is can you replace the fuel gauge with a gas cap, meaning is it threaded to accept a cap....

09 CrossBones- 14" Wild 1 Outlawz, forward controls, Bassani Road Rage 2-1, SE A/C, Woods TW-555, and a PCV
2012 Road Glide Custom
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

When i removed my fuel guage, i had to twist it like 1/8th-1/16th of a turn counter-clockwise then it came right out.. and yeah.. there's a jack under the tank that you have to remove the pins from to get the wires to pull straight out. unless you plan on keeping the R&D'd guage then you can just cut the wires. though you'll be screwed later if you have to switch back.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d168/cpljbunting/tumblr_lbqas6jFcQ1qaynpwo1_500.jpg
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 PM
Road Master

+1 I would like to know that too....can the fuel gauge except a gas cap? I would get rid of the annoying thing completely if it is threaded.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

The hole for the gauge is not threaded, won't accept a gas cap without some creativity

Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Rider

NO the gas gauge hole is not threaded.
The road to nowhere leads to me. 2010 denim black fatboy lo, V&H big radius pipes, street slammer drag bars, screamin eagle heavy breather, SE 110ci with se255 cams; NEW FAMILY MEMBER: 2009 CVO softail springer, blue, 110ci
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

So it's not threaded. Maybe that is why they said they are sending a left and a right. I'll send them an e-mail and see what they say. I'll keep you guys that are interested informed.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Road Master

Interested in this too.

The wife with my 2005 Softail (notso) Standard. Lotsa doodads and gizmos. Some chrome, some powdercoated gloss black.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM

P