Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

setting up gear drive cams that are tight

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM
woodwizzard
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting up gear drive cams that are tight

2002 Heratige springer
Ok just finnished setting up drive gears I marked what direction the runout was on pinion shaft installed drive gears with timing marks lined up , mark gears with permanent marker where the runout was at its peak that is 12:00 rotate gears with rear wheel to opposit point of 12:00 that is 6:00 put that point with gears touching I have a little backlash as I rotate gears to the 3:00 position gears get snug no play 12:00 snug no play 9:00 snug no play back to 6:00 furthest away fron runout I have a little play , I mark the larger cam drive gear where 12:00 is , the tightest point of the runout, the pinion gear hits 2 points on the cam gear opposit eachother every time so now I apply valve grinding compound to the pinion gear at appx 9:00, 12:00 and 3:00 and to the cam drive gear at appx the same location on 2 places opposit eachother , get positioned so I can rotate rear wheel and see my marks line up marks and rotate wheel back and forth between 9:00 and 3:00 on the pinion gear go back and forth about 40 times I can hear the compound get louder at 12:00 position so I focus the movement to the 11:00 1:00 position for around 20 back and forth motions rotate cam gear to the opposit side where the runout gets tight again and do the same keep moving the gears back and forth you can hear the grinding get a little louder at the point of the most runout , mine was .002 but I wanted to address the tight gears without going undersize I had play at the 6:00 position furthest point away from runout. I pulled the gears and cleaned the compound off , no compound on plastic or backside of gears so everything was clean, put gears back on now the gears are not tight there is a little play all the way around the gears per instructions.I have read every thread I can find on gear drive set up and noone address how to loosten up tight gears and address runout , valve grinding compound will give you some clearance on tight gears and let you fine tune pinion and cam drive gears to deal with runout up to a point. I hope this makes sense I tried to write this as clearly as possable .

The Woodwizzard
( you should see what I saw)http://www.heritagespringer.com/foru...fault/cool.gif

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

All sounds good but if you didn't measure the inner and outer gear lash, you still don't know what you have. IIRC, max lash is .0002" and that's not much, hard to feel by rotating gears and should be checked with dial indicator. You may have some loud gears when you get her all back together but better to have them too loose than too tight.