Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini-apes on Deluxe? Beach bars? How specifically do they help you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Mini-apes on Deluxe? Beach bars? How specifically do they help you?

Now that I have a new seat which lets me sit further back, my legs don't cramp anymore on the floorboards which is great. I don't even want my highway pegs anymore, which I rarely used anyway.

The stock handlebar was always fine in the past, but now it feels like my wrists are turned outwards, and my wrists and fingers tire fast and are starting to go numb after less then an hour riding.

I have new smaller-circumference grips too which could be playing a part.

I can't afford them this year, but am thinking I'd better take care of this next season and get bars that make me feel comfortable again.

I am 5' 7", long enough arms and legs. I have ridden Heritages with those mini-apes and those are comfortable. But a lot of people glow about "Beach Bars" too.

Yes of course I will do the research, am currently reading a lot of threads here about handlebars. And I will be going to HD stores to try out bars, but I wanted to specifically ask you all exactly what different bars have done for you.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 5',9'' and I have 14" Carlini Flyin' Apes and they fit me PERFECT! I think a set of 12" (truely 13"-ish) would be perfect!

Old 06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think you should do beach bars just for the looks hahahahaha, if you go apes go 16"s im 6'7 also and i can ride for days with mine

Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM
fdb2007
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had beach bars on a Road King and hated them. They looked great, but they put my wrists at an unnatural angle. They hurt me after 300 miles. I've got some fat mini apes on a Heritage now and my arms haven't bothered me since. Take this with a grain of salt as apparently I am the only guy in the world who doesn't have a problem jumpin' a Harley and was once beat down in the forum for speaking ill of beach bars.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by fdb2007
I had beach bars on a Road King and hated them. They looked great, but they put my wrists at an unnatural angle. They hurt me after 300 miles. I've got some fat mini apes on a Heritage now and my arms haven't bothered me since. Take this with a grain of salt as apparently I am the only guy in the world who doesn't have a problem jumpin' a Harley and was once beat down in the forum for speaking ill of beach bars.
I was considering going with beach bars on my Deluxe. But after riding around the parking lot on a Deluxe that had some I am looking into mini apes or ape hangers. They got two used bikes with ape hangers I am going to ride this weekend at my dealer. Just sitting on them I can feel my back and shoulders are at a much better angle.

We will see.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
im 6'7
Wow! What's your shoe size

Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I'm 5',9'' and I have 14" Carlini Flyin' Apes and they fit me PERFECT! I think a set of 12" (truely 13"-ish) would be perfect!
I wrote that down so they are on the list now, thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM
SMF
Banned

Originally Posted by studiopeg
wow! What's your shoe size
hahahahahaa my mistake i meant 5'7 hahahahaha its a 10

Old 06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
hahahahahaa my mistake i meant 5'7 hahahahaha its a 10
I was wondering what was going on! Someone 6'7" and advising 16" apes haha!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:25 PM
ofishbein
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted a beach-type bar but also wanted to get rid of the stock 4" riser. I got Wild-1 518s because they are not quite as wide as beach bars and have a bit of "kink" to raise them a bit and make up for the loss of the riser. They are very comfortable for me, even on long rides.

It's amazing how small differences in bars and body types can have a big impact on comfort so you really should test as many as you can before deciding.

Quick Reply: Mini-apes on Deluxe? Beach bars? How specifically do they help you?