Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail wiring harness for Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
doggin_it
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail wiring harness for Rocker

I am in the middle of installing a Heartland kit on my 09 Rocker. It seems there is alittle more to this then just swapping out a fender and seat. I have the Heartland rear signals in the mail and they should be here by the time the fenders come back from paint. I really dont want to cut the female side of the Rear tail/brake light plug in. Is there anywhere you can buy one of these HD plugins?

Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its funny you should ask, you can buy the molex/deutsch connector for 8.00 from the stealer and the pins but there are two capacitors soldered onto two ground wires (they are shrink wrapped but you can see the little boogers) that they do not sell. As a matter of fact you have to order the whole wiring harness to get those to capacitors (500).
So, my advice, get some 18 gauge wire, some molex pins/terminals and remove the stock turn signal wires from the back of the plug and run new wires to the heartland signals. Use a paper clip and GENTL press the tabs down and the old wires will just pop out of the plug. Hope this helps

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 PM
doggin_it
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
Its funny you should ask, you can buy the molex/deutsch connector for 8.00 from the stealer and the pins but there are two capacitors soldered onto two ground wires (they are shrink wrapped but you can see the little boogers) that they do not sell. As a matter of fact you have to order the whole wiring harness to get those to capacitors (500).
So, my advice, get some 18 gauge wire, some molex pins/terminals and remove the stock turn signal wires from the back of the plug and run new wires to the heartland signals. Use a paper clip and GENTL press the tabs down and the old wires will just pop out of the plug. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info RocketRocker. I have the badlands illuminator and the heartland signals are in the mail. I just wanted to leave the stock fender and lights intacked.
It would be great to just find the plug and pins

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

The connector you need is part number 72488-07BK, they can also supply the pins (sorry don't have part numbers for them).

I have attached the wiring diagram as my I have it on my rocker.

Please note that this is for a centre rear run/brake light and seperate indicators...

If you have further questions drop me a PM...

Robert

Attached Thumbnails Tail wiring harness for Rocker-aux-wiring-diagram-v2.0.jpg  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master

j33ptj- that is some good gouge, this could be my electrical issue right now. Not trying to take over thread but I assumed that since the rear signals on our bikes have stock LEDs that a badlands was not required. What would happen if you didnt use the badlands on the rear fender? I have a similar set up as you have. Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 PM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I replaced the rear indicators with Heartland Bullet LEDs, not using the stock lights!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 PM
ScottA320
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question.

I've got an 09 rocker as well but I'm switching out the stock LED rear turn signals for standard bulb type. I've got the standard model Rocker but it has the C model chrome turn signals. I'm trying to get rid of the gray and chrome and go with black so the rear signals need to go. The stock signals are 4 wire and the aftermarket lights are 2 wire. Is there a way to connect the 2 wire lights without loosing any of the 3 functions, Tail, Turn and Brake? If not what replacement lights are out there that will work and look like the stock bullet lights, in black?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:16 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not just paint the stock tail lights black?

That's what I did on my rocker two years ago. Did it in my garage with some primer and gloss black spray paint. They still look like they did they day I painted them.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:38 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Originally Posted by ScottA320
I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question.

I've got an 09 rocker as well but I'm switching out the stock LED rear turn signals for standard bulb type. I've got the standard model Rocker but it has the C model chrome turn signals. I'm trying to get rid of the gray and chrome and go with black so the rear signals need to go. The stock signals are 4 wire and the aftermarket lights are 2 wire. Is there a way to connect the 2 wire lights without loosing any of the 3 functions, Tail, Turn and Brake? If not what replacement lights are out there that will work and look like the stock bullet lights, in black?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, but it will require a Badlands Illuminator. There are probably other modules out there that will do this too, I just have experience with the Badlands model.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM
ScottA320
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 2 Posts

Painting them has always been an option but I wanted the smoked lenses to black them out and sense the lenses on the stock ones don't come off I figured after market or stock non LED. I didn't realize the wiring would be such that a 2 wire non LED wouldn't work. It seems that everyone is switching to LED and using one of these aftermarket boxes to run the LED's. I'm going the other way and I'm guessing that it's not going to work.

Quick Reply: Tail wiring harness for Rocker