Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Part

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Belle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Part

My husband took the bags off of my 2005 Softail Deluxe so that we could give my girl a good washing. However, when I went to put the bags back on, I couldn't find one of the black, rubber isolators. I am sure one of my children is using it as a chew toy. It is the piece that goes between the bag and the saddlebag support. When I pulled up the installation instructions on the Harley site to get the part number to order another one, it said that that piece isn't sold separately.

Obviously, I plan on using the one isolator that I do have on the side with the exhaust. However, I need to locate another isolator so that the bag on the left can be secured.

Any ideas on where I can find one?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:24 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure, but if you go to home depot or lowes, look in the isle that has all the fasteners and stuff, they have a lot of random stuff. They may have something that will work.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with your local stealer. The service dept may have misc bits and parts in some bins. Mine here in MD has a custom, collision and machine shop separate from the service and parts dept. That is your best bet. I've done some off the wall customizing, and they are the only ones who don't look at me like I'm nuts when I come to them for help with some crazy idea. That said, they have bins and bins full of bits and pieces, and they can access cut sheets for part numbers that you and I can't.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking through my parts manual the isolator (PN=90524-01) looks like a rubber tube or sleeve.
If I'm right you can check out the local Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware to see if they have something similar.
As a last resort you could try to find a piece of nylon or rubber tubing you can cut to the length needed to replace the missing piece.
Got any old rubber garden hose laying around not doing anything?

PS Assuming that this is the part your looking for (figure 2 part #1)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03829.pdf

Zanotti lists the isolator #1 (90524-01) for $2.64 on their site.

https://shop.zanottimotor.com/catalo...n?sku=90524-01

Good Luck

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 05-25-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

OSH, Orchard Supply Hardware

Apparently these Rubber Isolators are not all that rare. I bought a replacement there for my bike once.

Check in the nuts and bolts section.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Belle
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Evidently different bags have use different isolators. The one I was looking for was square with two holes drilled in it. It is only used on the "locking rigid saddlebags for the softail deluxe." When I pulled up the installation instructions on the Harley website, it lists the isolators as part #10 - "not sold seperately." I went to the Harely dealership they didn't sell it and alas, no bins of misc. parts. The mechanic did suggest cutting up a used tire and gluing the layers together, then drilling two holes. I actually ended up using a steering coupling disc that I found at Auto Zone. It was the perfect thickness and already had the correct size holes in it. I just needed to cut it down a little.
The moral of the story, when you take stuff off your bike, put the parts in a baggie away from the kids. Lesson learned. Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Citoriplus
Looking through my parts manual the isolator (PN=90524-01) looks like a rubber tube or sleeve.
If I'm right you can check out the local Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace Hardware to see if they have something similar.
As a last resort you could try to find a piece of nylon or rubber tubing you can cut to the length needed to replace the missing piece.
Got any old rubber garden hose laying around not doing anything?

PS Assuming that this is the part your looking for (figure 2 part #1)

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J03829.pdf

Zanotti lists the isolator #1 (90524-01) for $2.64 on their site.

https://shop.zanottimotor.com/catalo...n?sku=90524-01

Good Luck
Plus one

Old 05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did someone say chew toy!!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Ob1Jenobe (06-28-2023)
Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM
elasowipeo
Road Captain

I had the same insolator but my bag support pulled one of the studs out. Is there a better aftermarket item to replace this? Its rubber with a stud on each end. I called HD and they carry it (2 to a bag) but its just a bad design.

Attached Thumbnails Missing Part-bag-insulator.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 02:10 PM
thunkins
Stage I
Default How to install

So I had the same issue where the isolator was cracked and needed to be replaced. I was able to find the part online, but not sure exactly how to install. Any pointers or links to a You video to install this? Thanks in advance.