Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS light always on

Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM
BadBilly49
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light always on

I posted this in the tech section but some other softtail owners may have run across this problem...

I purchased a replacement Speedometer/tachometer combo gauge for my 2009 Fatboy (Harley Part # 74746-08) and since the install, I've noticed that there is an ABS warning light (I think it's a warning light) that is constantly on when the ignition is turned on and the bike is running.
This was an easy install (kinda like plug n' play) and there was nothing in the instructions that mentioned anything about an ABS light being always on (Especially since the 2009 Fatboy didn't have an ABS brake system)
I contacted the dealer, who didn't know anything about this problem, and couldn't supply any info even though they were the ones who ordered this part.
I can't be the only one who's run across this problem, and I'm wondering if the dealership got the wrong speedo? There is another speedo HD part # 74747-08 that fit's 08 and Later Road Kings (that do come equipped with ABS brake systems)

Update: today I doublechecked the part number on the speedo and it does indeed say 74746-08 (But it's a sticker and not a direct stamp on the back of the speedo) So I dunno...

Has anyone else done this upgrade? (And run up against this problem?)

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

I think they gave you wrong Speedo....ABS light only on 2011 Softail speedo. The new speedo needs to be connected to the HD LAN/CAN.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 PM
BadBilly49
Novice

Well...I've just read a few more posts with regards to these speedo/tach combos and it seems anyone running the Thundermax system have had issues with the way their speedos are working (Or not working)
I guess I'm going to have to contact Thundermax to see what they say?
Got a feeling they might deny any problem...but other posts here say otherwise.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM
BadBilly49
Novice

Here's a picture of my Speedo/Tach combo unit...Without the ABS light shining away LOL.

Last edited by BadBilly49; 06-02-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 AM
cpiad
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadBilly49
Well...I've just read a few more posts with regards to these speedo/tach combos and it seems anyone running the Thundermax system have had issues with the way their speedos are working (Or not working)
I guess I'm going to have to contact Thundermax to see what they say?
Got a feeling they might deny any problem...but other posts here say otherwise.
You didn't say anything about Tmax in original post. Zippers knows all.about problems...like DTE won't work with speedo/tach combo. They have no plans to fix it. You got to live with it.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
BadBilly49
Novice
Wink

Well...sounds like Randy at Zippers/TM is going to get allot more complaints about this problem...cause the many posts I've seen about how people really like the new Speedo/tach design (2011 version) and are "chomping at the bit" ready to run out and get one, will leave allot of confused TM owners wondering what happened with their NEW tach/speedo?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:44 PM
BadBilly49
Novice
Cool

Just as a follow up to this post...I phoned and attempted to talk to Randy at Thundermax about this problem, and basically he denied the problem even existed. He wouldn't even discuss it...

I'm very dissappointed with that kind of response...it's one thing to know about a problem...and another to knowingly ignore the problem (Cause you just don't want to admit it even exists)

Randy did say that They (Zippers/TM) ordered the NEW 2011 Speedo/tach for themselves (I guess for testing purposes)but it hadn't showed up yet...Yeah Right! (It's June 2011 already and they've known about the problem since people started buying the NEW tach/Speedo combo first offered when?...Last year)

Bottomline...Don't buy the new Speedo/tach combo if running the Thundermax system...The two products don't get along together, and support for this problem will be non-existant. (I guess til Thundermax gets overwhelmed with complaints that their TM with Auto Tune is causing a problem)

Old 06-03-2011, 02:23 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Whoa....

The incompatibility with Tmax and Pre-2011 aftermarket Speedo/tach is well known to Randy, Zippers, et al. I spent too much time with him trying to help them fix the problems. It requires a firmware code re-write...but I got the feeling they no longer have someone capable of writing code for the Tmax. Note they are still using serial RD232 9 pin connection ... pc's stopped using serial connections 10 yrs ago.

The 2011 issue is an order of magnitude in complexity. The MOCO launched the HD LAN/CAN on Softails only this year to be followed by other types in the coming years. I have explained the problems with LAN/CAN interoperability with aftermarket systems in other posts and won't beat a dead horse again here.

If Zippers cannot fix the pre-2011 problems, they will never be able to achieve full compatibility with HD LAN/CAN equipped bikes. They may be able to come up with a work around, but they will never resolve all the ****ling little issues like ABS i/l and DTE

Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM
cpiad
Account Closed

Don't know why this forum will not allow word like N I G G L I N G .... it is standard English and basically means annoying. Jeepers this politically correct BS has gone way too far...making idiots out of people.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
BadBilly49
Novice

I'm afraid Zipper's has lost allot of Credibilty with me due to Randy's response to my inquiry.
One doesn't treat their customers, with confrontational and argumentative responses unless there is a problem.
That said...The Thundermax system is a great system, and I am still happy that I purchased it.
However...Customer support (has in my opinion) fallen short in dealing with this problem.
Zippers isn't helping themselves by attempting to intimidate individual customers who are seeking help with their product. (Customer service means allot nowadays)

They should be actively seeking a solution...not actively denying the problem exists.
So what if the fix costs money in order to resolve the problem...These "Thundermax with autotune" systems aren't cheap (Compared with other brands) and represent a sizable investment by the customer/owner. (Somebody is making money at Zippers)

At the least...Zippers should come out with a service notice warning customers that there IS a compatibilty issue with these new Speedo/tach combos and their Tmax products.

The problem isn't going to go away (Unless Zippers fixes it) and Randy's stress level is going to go WAY up with more and more customers (who've just purchased the NEW HD speedo/combo) phoning up asking the questions that he obviously doesn't want to hear.

Last edited by BadBilly49; 06-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS light always on