Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM
toxicstang99
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Baffles?

So I installed the apes on my bike and did a couple of other minor tweaks and changes. While I was at it, I removed the Vance&Hines slip ons that came with the bike (they look like slip ons anyway) and just left it the way it was and removedd the passenger mount and exhaust mount, freeing up the back wheel.

It looks BA (imo). But my question is... Is no Baffles bad? As in while it damage anything?

Thanks ya'll!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:28 PM
niczumbo
Road Master

1.no muffs=lack of back pressure,which means possible performance loss 2.no muffs=possible LEO conversations which end up badly 3.no muffs =your neighbors will hate you

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

+ now your bike is running even leaner.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy some BCT Baffles.
Loud, good, and no complaints!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by JPL
Buy some BCT Baffles.
Loud, good, and no complaints!
+1 for the money, my BCT baffles are the best mod I've made so far... I agree with one of the testimonials on their website.. I wouldn't sell them for twice what I paid for them...

Old 06-10-2011, 12:13 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrambo
+1 for the money, my BCT baffles are the best mod I've made so far... I agree with one of the testimonials on their website.. I wouldn't sell them for twice what I paid for them...
I've been looking for something like this because I like running open pipes. I just don't like that huge drop in torque between 2000 and 3500 RPM. Half the bikes down here have open pipes and when you're on a ride if you're running baffles, you can't even hear what gear you're in. I have drag pipes on my gf's Sportster and you can really feel the flat spot. I just ordered a set for my Heritage to use until I'm done with the other mods and can pick out a different exhaust. I know I'm gonna miss the performance of the E-Series 2into1, but I really do not like the sound of them. I was gonna do the bolt and washer trick to try to help.

Do the BCT baffles really help with the mid RPM issue?

Their web site just shows what looks like a pipe that changes diameter and then back again. Is that all they are?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by 95yj
I've been looking for something like this because I like running open pipes. I just don't like that huge drop in torque between 2000 and 3500 RPM. Half the bikes down here have open pipes and when you're on a ride if you're running baffles, you can't even hear what gear you're in. I have drag pipes on my gf's Sportster and you can really feel the flat spot. I just ordered a set for my Heritage to use until I'm done with the other mods and can pick out a different exhaust. I know I'm gonna miss the performance of the E-Series 2into1, but I really do not like the sound of them. I was gonna do the bolt and washer trick to try to help.

Do the BCT baffles really help with the mid RPM issue?

Their web site just shows what looks like a pipe that changes diameter and then back again. Is that all they are?
Yes.. they really help..

No, that's not all.. has a piece in the middle near the end which basically looks like the diy eyebolt hack...

I'm sure it's a combination of the piece in the center AND the narrowing of the baffle in the middle, but they made a world of difference to me..

Old 06-10-2011, 01:00 PM
rrambo
Tourer

when I pulled the baffles out of the box, my first reaction was there wasn't much to them... but they really worked well... not bad for 80 bucks I think...

Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Mr. McGoo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With today's technology and better materials that engine components are made from I don't think running no baffles actually hurts anything but you should probably retune to get some more fuel added as per comments about running leaner. There are lots of pipes manufactured and sold everyday that come without baffles and were meant to be that way. I have crack pipes on my bike and have never had problems at all. They have no baffles

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM
rrambo
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
With today's technology and better materials that engine components are made from I don't think running no baffles actually hurts anything but you should probably retune to get some more fuel added as per comments about running leaner. There are lots of pipes manufactured and sold everyday that come without baffles and were meant to be that way. I have crack pipes on my bike and have never had problems at all. They have no baffles
You are 100% correct... won't hurt anything as long as it's tuned properly.. hell, vance and hines had a canned fuelpak map for my pipes with the baffles removed.. it was super rich and my mpg went to sh1+ though.. i removed the fuelpak and flashed my ecm with a PV from Jamie@FuelMoto and it immediately ran better.. then a few days later I installed the BCT baffles and with the combo of the two changes my bike runs way better than it has since I got it...

Quick Reply: No Baffles?