Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cable Help - Deluxe with Nacelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable Help - Deluxe with Nacelle

I need some help from those of you with a nacelle on your Deluxe (or Fatboy). Specifically those who are running beach bars. I am running Klock Werks Mentele bars. I have the Doss nacelle kit for my 07' but am having trouble getting the correct throttle and clutch cables. I swithced them both out due to the stock ones being too long after going with the shorter risers needed for the Nacelle kit. I do not like how the throttle and clutch cables are routing. They are both rubbing the back side of the Nacelle. Since I stripped the chrome off and had all the parts painted, I don't want to ruin the paint.

Do I need longer cables? I'm currently using 28 1/2" long throttle cables and a 58 11/16" long clutch cable. And the clutch cable adjuster is not in the correct place for the stock cable guide. These are the next size shorter from the stock length which were too long. I did go with the cheaper vinyl cables. Should I go with braided instead? Are they more flexible than the vinyl?

I don't really know what cables from what models fit the Deluxe. I've only been going off cables I've found specifically for the Deluxe and the available lengths are limited.

Sorry for rambling, but I'm frustrated trying to figure this out and need some assistance.

Also currious about steering stops. The nacelle is very close to the tank at full lock. I ordered the CCI stop kit recomended in the nacelle instructions, but it does not fit the 07' frame neck area. What are others with nacelles doing about this?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my HD nacelle there are small cable clamps that screw into the back side of the nacelle and hold the cable. I have one on the right side and on the left side there is a round chrome cap covering an un-used hole for another clamp. Check to see if you have those openings on your doss nacelle.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shineybike
On my HD nacelle there are small cable clamps that screw into the back side of the nacelle and hold the cable. I have one on the right side and on the left side there is a round chrome cap covering an un-used hole for another clamp. Check to see if you have those openings on your doss nacelle.
My kit is smooth on the back, no holes at all.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I put my Nacelle on my Heritage, I took the measurements that I wanted to get the clutch adjuster in the correct spot....I used 10ga copper wire and ran it where I wanted the cable to flow to, to get this measurement....and the part from the adjuster to the motor is the same as stock.

Took this to my Indy who hooked me up with the right braided cables!

Jimmy

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 AM
DeluxeRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
When I put my Nacelle on my Heritage, I took the measurements that I wanted to get the clutch adjuster in the correct spot....I used 10ga copper wire and ran it where I wanted the cable to flow to, to get this measurement....and the part from the adjuster to the motor is the same as stock.

Took this to my Indy who hooked me up with the right braided cables!

Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy. Your bike is bada$$. Are the braided lines more flexible than the vinyl?

Old 06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeluxeRider
Thanks Jimmy. Your bike is bada$$. Are the braided lines more flexible than the vinyl?
Don't think the braided is more flexable, but you nee to make sure the cable is plenty long so you don't kink it. I wanna say that my cables were all +4 inches over stock...but really don't remember

Thanks on my bike.....but I don't think it is so "Bada$$" lookin right now with the fairing, bags and trunk on it....lol But my sweetie will be comfy and have somewhere for ALL of her stuff.

Jimmy

Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
shineybike
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took another look at my nacelle and the throttle cables are not connected to the nacelle, the brake line is. The throttle cablesare long enough that they press in against the neck area. I have a hydraulic clutch but the line does not come in contact with the rear left side of the nacelle. sorry for the confusion.