Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Softail-Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
JH-Harley08
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Softail-Oil Change

Good evening all.
I am new to this forum and have a technical question and concerns regarding oil changes on a 2008 Softail.I am pretty green as far as maintenance on a Harley.I am wanting to know the proper way to do a service/oil change on my own Harley.I have recently heard several horror stories from family and friends regarding taking there own Harley to the dealer for service and the primaries being left dry among other issues.
Does anyone have any information or a diagram of the proper drain plug to loosen.I was told by a friend there were 2 plugs 1 of them being the one that would leave your primary dry. Then again i have tried to look on the web and there were several mentions on a drain hose-which i could not locate myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You REALLY need a service manual if you don't have one already. Most of what you need to know is in there and then you wouldn't have to try and count on someone to try and explain the process to you on some forum. Not that there are people here like myself who are happy to help. I just think that you are taking the hard way about it if you are relying on the forums to get the info you need. I would suggest you use the forums to answer questions when you run into a specific issue and not for finding out how to do a complete process.

That said, if you are doing a complete fluid change then you are looking for three drain plugs and they are all the same size/type drain bolt. You can use either a socket or an alen wrench to remove them. The hardest one to get to is the transmission plug which is up between the two shocks under the bike. I tend to need a mirror to get at it with the wrench. The oil plug is on the right had side of the bike and it is set in the frame right underneath the swing arm. A drain hose may have been mentioned because there is a hose above the drain plug through which the oil travels but you don't touch that line. The third plug for the primary is located at the bottom of the primary cover towards the back. If you feel along the bottom of the primary cover you will feel it.

Not sure what you mean by "leaving the primary dry". You need to drain all the old fluid before you replace it with new fluid. The primary and transmission each take one quart of fluid. The engine take just under three depending on how much oil is left in the motor after you drain it.

Honestly it is a very easy process but I would be here all night typing it up for you. The best advice I can give you is to get yourself a service manual. And to be honest, I think your owner's manual covers basic service info such as fluid changes.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
xwhyz1959 (03-30-2024)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I will be the first to do it.... (guess I wasn't the first )

You really need to get a Service Manual, especially if you're "pretty green"

And welcome to the forum

Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM
JH-Harley08
3rd Gear

Thanks for the posts.It seems that when I bought my bike they did not provide me with a proper service manual all the info i was given was warranty info unless it has been misplaced.I will now go back and request one. And yes micahpop i am pretty green regarding Harley's(don't want to hurt my baby)my other bike is a Suzuki Intruder if that says anything.

thanks again.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior

I'm pretty green when it comes to mechanical things too but with the help of the service manual, I do most of the regular maintenance on my bike.

And the dealer is not going to "give" you the manual if they didn't include it in the purchase of your bike. It's about $60 - well worth it!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain

Try here: http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

Step by step w/photos.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:49 PM
JH-Harley08
3rd Gear

Thanks Micahpop i will go and get one.I have never had an issue doing a service on almost anything i have ever owned until now after listening to friends and family which usually never do there own maintenance anyway.And here in the Atlanta GA area i have heard even worse stories regarding the dealerships,including the one where i bought mine from.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Good advice. It also includes torque values, which, IMO, are important. But if you search the net, there are some videos on do it yourself maintenance, and they are good even when you do have a service manual.

These are a good place to start
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_619_mo...le-repair.html

Last edited by Stretchman; 06-21-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
JH-Harley08
3rd Gear

Thanks Glen that was helpful.
i was a little confused looking at my bike i noticed 2 different plugs that look like drain plugs.
One that is exactly where the photos of the link you posted however it is taken out by an allen wrench on the right side .The other is a standard 5/8 but on the left side rear under the derby. Now is a 96CI roughly the same as an 88CI which is in the link you posted.
Mine is the 96.

thanks again!

Last edited by JH-Harley08; 06-22-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:42 AM
JH-Harley08
3rd Gear

Thanks Stretchman that post was helpful as well i think my confusion lies on where the actual drain plug was.I saw 2 different styles and like i said in my very first post was i heard some bad info I believe regarding the primary being left dry??I was just a little worried pulling the wrong one.

thanks again everyone.

hopefully this will be my last stupid question.

And yes i will be getting a proper service manual-I wish harley would have provided one to me-but then again that fault is also mine for not requesting one at time of purchase.

Quick Reply: 2008 Softail-Oil Change