Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Custom vs. Softail Deuce

Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

no contest! go the Deuce

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Actually, now that people mentioned it, and you mention your height and size, check the wide glide, it is not a softail but the Dyna frame is by far more capable frame and the TC Engine on the dyna will spin a couple of free extra ponies (it is a known fact that Dyna Engines are unmatched).
So the WG is also an option a bit more Aggressive and the 'MC' bad boy image would not hurt

Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if would make much difference later on, but the 07 deuce is the only deuce with the bigger engine and 6 spd. I'm partial to the deuce cause it is different. NT's, customs and standard all look the same to me. Just different colored engines, ones chromed, ones plain, and ones black. Same tanks and fenders as far as I know. Plus the deuce has those awesome smooth chrome forks, stretched tank, rear fender. Only thing I dislike about the deuce is the narrower rear end/fugly rear wheel. But I got rid of that

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Actually, now that people mentioned it, and you mention your height and size, check the wide glide, it is not a softail but the Dyna frame is by far more capable frame and the TC Engine on the dyna will spin a couple of free extra ponies (it is a known fact that Dyna Engines are unmatched).
So the WG is also an option a bit more Aggressive and the 'MC' bad boy image would not hurt
Smart man right here ! I love the Deuce . It's probably my favorite Softail . But if you like a stretched out feel, check out the Wide Glide . New model, and previous generations are both great bikes . Two totally different styles , though .

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Custom and the Deuce are pretty much the same bikes other than cosmetics. Only you can decide which one you like the best. Agree on trying the Wide Glide. My wife just bought an '06 Wide Glide and it is one great looking bike and it has better pick up than my Softail. She rode a Deluxe for a few years and made the same comment.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 AM
BayAreaRider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great feedback everyone but now I am going to throw you all a curve. I went and saw the Custom tonight and it is in mint condition. I have fallen out of love with the Deuce and am lusting after the Custom. (No diss to all you Deuce owners. Some of us prefer blondes and others redheads.) However, over the weekend, I was at my local stealership and got all the pros of buying a Road King Classic from the salesperson I've been working with there. I am looking at a well maintained bike that is a couple years older ('06) with about 22K miles. Both the Custom and the RK are in the same price range. It seems like the RK would be more practical for longer trips and easier on 2 UP but I can't help but wonder if I will regret not buying the Custom knowing it's out of the lineup and this is a very well maintained bike. (The owner has three bikes and is a motorcycle cop so he seems to know his stuff.) I figure Road Kings will be in the H-D lineup for years to come and 3 to 5 years from now, getting rid of a 10 year old Road King may be difficult with all the choices out there. Also, I can always trade for a bagger in a few years or better yet, add a second horse to the stable. What I am looking for is the plusses of the Custom and whether it really can be a comfortable ride for a long trip. There is a similar thread on the Touring section and of course 9 out of 10 posts recommend a bagger. Let me hear what the Softail crowd thinks on the issues. (Sorry to bounce around like a kid in a candy store but there are just so many great Harley options.)

Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

It sounds like that Custom picked you. I was looking at Road Kings when my FXSTC picked me, and I never looked back.

The custom can evolve as you find what kind of riding you do. If you add a Road King to the line-up, you've got a great base for customizing with the FXSTC.

You're looking at Harley's, not minivans... so, are you really looking for practical?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

You can tour on a Custom, no problem.

Attached Thumbnails Softail Custom vs. Softail Deuce-dsc_0093.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Hey.... At least he's joining the softail family...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
BayAreaRider
Novice

Thanks to everyone for the input. I took delivery on Friday of an '08 Softail Custom 105th Anniversary edition. (Yes, it's in the "coppertop" paint scheme. Some hate it and others love it. I happen to like it.) I am totally thrilled with the bike and am glad I chose it over a bagger. Put in a few miles locally over the weekend getting used to it and it rides like a dream. I am very comfortable on the bike. Will post a pic as soon as I get a good one of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail Custom vs. Softail Deuce