Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help IDing a short

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Schaub85
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help IDing a short

I have a short that keeps popping my "batttery" fuse within the fuse box. I have a manual but for some reason its at work. Does anyone know what all is on this circuit?

It seems to go to the fuse box and maybe head toward the front of the bike but without tearing everything apart its hard to tell. I do know that when the power is connected, that fuse socket is hot all the time. The speedo, odometer and electric start also dont work. Head light works, engine light works, the bike will run but wont start. I dont know if its related but the run side of my front signals seem to be blowing also, but not the actual turn part of the bulb(so the turn signals work but the running lights dont).

I'm more than willing to do the work if I know where to look. But if everyone just tells me to go through the whole system, I'm just taking it to the dealer as I dont have the time or patients for that.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:13 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this sounds weird, but look under your rear fender to see if your wire harness has fallen loose and rubbing on your rear tire........
When Mine did, mine would run and start and had a brake light but absolutly nothing else electiral worked

Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

what electrical has been messed with on the bike? i'm assuming your bars and anything else? start with wherever work has been done and that is most likely where you'll find the problem

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't say they are notorious for it, but my 07' has had two electrical shorts so far. One was handled by a factory recall which put a plastic wire routing thing in around the battery. The second was a major rubbing problem with the loom on the left side of the battery going down into the rest of the frame. See the pic attached.

Anyway, it was blowing the large fuse and killed the whole bike. We traced it to almost every system and it wasn't until my son-in-law showed up with a multi-meter that made a sound when two touch points showed a ground that we were able to trace it down.

End result, we dug out the wire loom beside the battery and found a point where it had been rubbing against the frame and had rubbed through the major power wire and several others. It got fixed with shrink wrap and tape.

Start looking at your wiring around the battery; there are lots of pinch points and it's rubbing.