Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Hang Around
Default Softail Rear Wheel Alignment

I have a 2006 Softail Night Train that got bumped from behind by another vehicle while I was taking off at a stop light.

At the time, it seemed the damage was minimal and limited to the license plate mount and scuff marks on the fender and rear tail lights but upon further inspection I noticed that the rear (200mm) tire was misaligned and the right side collar on the axle nut no longer seated against the tip of the adjuster bolt. I also noticed that the belt guard now rubs on the outside of the rear sprocket.

When I realigned the rear axle to the pivot by adjusting the belt tension and measuring the distance from the axle to the swing arm pivot on each side, I noticed the belt guard still rubbed against the sprocket.

Now I'm wondering whether the rear fork got tweaked during the impact. Does anyone know of a straightforward method for checking the rear fork for straightness and proper alignment with the frame?

I've also read that there is an offset between front and rear tires on this bike. Is that truly the case or are the front and rear tires supposed to be inline with each other when straight? Does anyone know what the offset is supposed to be?

Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Club Member

The front and rear tire need to be on the same plane so if there is an offset it just needs to be on that plane. This might help.

http://youtu.be/RBxK-OQ--fg
Mine - 2004 FLSTCI, 98" FuelMoto BB, D&D Fatcat, Thundermax, Mustang saddle, Cyclevision Go Forward, harleyGoodies extensions, Chrome toolbox, LED Lights all around.. Hers - 2007 XL1200L Burly Drop front and rear, X14iED's, Motherwell rack, HD Super Reach Seat, Laydown HD chrome plate with turn signal relocation, PullBack risers & speedo from a 1200C, Chrome forwards
Old 06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Road Master

I would take the whole rear fender, wheel and pulley and swing arm off the bike and get it looked at. Have a local wrench spin your tire on a machine to check and see if the pulley, wheel and rotor are spinning tru. Obviously check the axle and make sure it isnt bent...roll it at eye level on a glass table.Hopefully, its just the belt guard that got bent. Hopefully, you got the owners insurance info cause whatever damage the vehicle did; its on them big time to make it right. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

-To answer one part, the wheels are off-set so that is not an indicator of damage.

2000 FLTRSEI Stage II 95" Big Bore with Andrews 26 Gear Drives, Patriot Defender 2 into 1 Exhaust and a Good Air Filter.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmarti4922 View Post
Now I'm wondering whether the rear fork got tweaked during the impact. Does anyone know of a straightforward method for checking the rear fork for straightness and proper alignment with the frame?

I've also read that there is an offset between front and rear tires on this bike. Is that truly the case or are the front and rear tires supposed to be inline with each other when straight? Does anyone know what the offset is supposed to be?
I don't think the swingarm got "tweaked" 06 was the first year of the 200 tire and they still had the 3/4 inch axle...which they changed the next year...bet'cha the axle is bent ...and yes the rear wheel is offset...1/2 inch I believe.

1984 FXST
1983 FLHT
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Hang Around

How close is the pulley suppose to be to the swingarm ?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 AM

P

Tags
200mm, alignment, axle, bent, deluxe, duece, fitment, harley, rear, rubs, softail, softtail, sprocket, swingarm, wheel