Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Springer 4.5 Deg Rake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 AM
chillo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go... My 2011 Bones just finished modding. Fitted the Vulcan Engineering 7.5 Deg rake kit and it still handles awesome.. Looks way better than stock too, in my opinion...

Name:  2011Crossbones.jpg
Views: 6014
Size:  113.0 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2011Crossbones.jpg (113.0 KB, 600 views)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any wobble at highway speeds?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
medina charlie
Cruiser

chilo that is what the frontend of a springer should look like. if I new about this kit earlier, I would have never sold my springer. ...perfect!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM
chillo
Novice

Originally Posted by medina charlie
chilo that is what the frontend of a springer should look like. if I new about this kit earlier, I would have never sold my springer. ...perfect!
Cheers Charlie... When I stand it next to a stock Bones, the difference is amazing...

brettnbama: No difference to handling or any wobble at all speeds...

Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is really the measurement that matters...
Name:  RakeTrail.jpg
Views: 3034
Size:  115.2 KB
The Trail is the distance between where the steering axis hits the ground and where a vertical line down from the center of the front axle hits the ground.

You want to keep it between 4" and about 6". If you get less than 4" it will handle great at slow speeds but death wobble at freeway speeds. If you get more than 6" you will have trouble balancing it at slow speeds and it will handle sluggish at freeway speeds.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
20Springer04
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DC Mike
This is really the measurement that matters...

The Trail is the distance between where the steering axis hits the ground and where a vertical line down from the center of the front axle hits the ground.

You want to keep it between 4" and about 6". If you get less than 4" it will handle great at slow speeds but death wobble at freeway speeds. If you get more than 6" you will have trouble balancing it at slow speeds and it will handle sluggish at freeway speeds.

I have an FXSTS 04 and have the same rake kit you have and my trail came out to about 1.5". What is the trail on your CB? I don't get the speed wobbles but when in a turn at highway speed, if there are bumps on the freeway my fork flops. The higher the speed the worse it gets. Are you experiencing this at all? I think I'm going back to factory rake unless I figure out why it's doing it. I'm pretty sure it's because of the lesser trail.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really want to do this, but am afraid of it causing problems

Old 11-14-2012, 08:12 PM
chillo
Novice

Originally Posted by 20Springer04
I have an FXSTS 04 and have the same rake kit you have and my trail came out to about 1.5". What is the trail on your CB? I don't get the speed wobbles but when in a turn at highway speed, if there are bumps on the freeway my fork flops. The higher the speed the worse it gets. Are you experiencing this at all? I think I'm going back to factory rake unless I figure out why it's doing it. I'm pretty sure it's because of the lesser trail.
Are you sure you fitted the 7.5 Deg rake kit? As I believe the FSXTS uses a 4.5 Deg kit from Vulcan. The trail with the 7.5 Deg kit on my FLSTS comes in at just under 5''. It did handle slightly different when I first rode it after the install, but you get used to the difference after a few miles. I must stress that it behaves great around the City streets and Country roads...and when I gun it on the motorway, it still behaves perfectly. When you installed your kit, did it feel good and tight with the new bearings..? I experienced no real problems with the install, except removing the original stem was a PITA. The kit I received was very well engineered and the ride is great. Hope you get it sorted...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I just wanted to say (without addressing ANY rake and trail issues), the bike looks fantastic.

Originally Posted by chillo

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Tee&Vee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

One of the prettiest ***** in the forum. Well done sir, well done!

Quick Reply: Harley Springer 4.5 Deg Rake Kit