Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Andrews 48h Cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
jed1069
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Andrews 48h Cams

Ok over 4th of July weekend I put Andrews 48h cams in my bike. Here is a little review.

I have not had the bike Dyno'd yet I am running a Map from Fuelmoto.

The bike seems to have a lot more useable Horsepower and Torque. Really seems to start pulling strong at about 2500rpms and pulls hard until redline.

I am able to run in 6th gear at 60mph without feeling like it is chugging. Passing power is incredible at any speed. Able to just twist the throttle and go no need to down shift.

I went out and rode with my Dad on his VROD last night. He used to be able to leave me in the dust, not last night I hung right there with him.

Now the one negative I have noticed is that it seems there is almost no engine braking now so I think I will be going through brake pads.

So my final thought is anybody looking for a bolt in cam for a 96" motor seriously look at these.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

I just got the same. I couldn't agree with you more brother.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM
jed1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by socal yankee
I just got the same. I couldn't agree with you more brother.

Did you dyno yours? Curious what kind of numbers these get. I did find one sheet

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...t-w-qb_tts.jpg

Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jed1069
Did you dyno yours? Curious what kind of numbers these get. I did find one sheet

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...t-w-qb_tts.jpg
as a matter of fact i just had it dynotuned last friday....
Last month I added a mikuni carb and K&N to 95" bore kit and Vance n Hines BRs.
Last friday the dynotune tweaked out an additional 8 horses and 5 more lbs of torque. She now runs 77 horses and more importantly 93 foot lbs of tq. Like you said,Jed, I AM LOVIN THAT MIDRANGE and a whole new growl to her.
-jason

Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
jed1069
Road Master

I agree the new sound is just SICK nice deep lope to it and then when you hit the throttle it just growls. Best mod I have done. Cams will be at the tiop of the list on any bike I get from here out.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM
09B29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jed1069
Ok over 4th of July weekend I put Andrews 48h cams in my bike. Here is a little review.

I have not had the bike Dyno'd yet I am running a Map from Fuelmoto.

The bike seems to have a lot more useable Horsepower and Torque. Really seems to start pulling strong at about 2500rpms and pulls hard until redline.

I am able to run in 6th gear at 60mph without feeling like it is chugging. Passing power is incredible at any speed. Able to just twist the throttle and go no need to down shift.

I went out and rode with my Dad on his VROD last night. He used to be able to leave me in the dust, not last night I hung right there with him.

Now the one negative I have noticed is that it seems there is almost no engine braking now so I think I will be going through brake pads.

So my final thought is anybody looking for a bolt in cam for a 96" motor seriously look at these.
I have similar fatboy
with 255s
wonder how they compare to andrews 48 and woods 555??

Old 07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 09B29
I have similar fatboy
with 255s
wonder how they compare to andrews 48 and woods 555??
Ive heard the 255s are very comparable. I havnt heard about the woods performance but ive heard of the name. My indy says andrews are great, dependable performance. I told him I wanted to go aggressive without having to be in the shop once a month for maintenance.. I would have to believe the 255s would be along the same line. Ill ask him next time I see him. Thwe numbers would be an interesting comparison....
As for today, I just got in from a backstreet ride. i opened her up in third and ive never felt that pull before let alone a waaaaayyyyy better sound. Hard to describe, just that it is smoother but a lot more attitude. Love buzzin the houses and cars in the neighborhood!!! Best words I guess would be,

"woooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................."

Old 07-22-2011, 12:00 PM
cryan9
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard was the job and other than quick install pushrods what else do you need? I was just looking at the numbers on these and they might be what I'm looking for. I have also been looking at the Red Shift 575 cams by Thunder Max.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
jed1069
Road Master

Really not all that tough of a job. Here is a link that goes step by step through the whole thing. Now I did not change the inner bearings on mine. Lots of people telling me they need to be replace lots saying they don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Kva...bedded#at=1854

So I bought the cams on ebay American Classic Motors Did a best offer deal got them for $237 shipped. Bought SE adj Push Rods with tubes and seals ebay as well $125 shipped. Only other things I replaced was cam cover gasket and exhaust gaskets.

Tools needed
1)Manual
2)Good Torque wrench
3)Allen and Torx sockets
4)Red and Blue Locktight
5)Assembly Lube
6)New Oil
7)Bolt cutters to remove old pushrods

I think I did everything for about $400. Well worth it.

Last edited by jed1069; 07-22-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot link
Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Jed.. don't want to burst Ur bubble, but I can't remember anyone saying not to change them... Most will say the only way to go is torringtons. On the 88's its prob more critical than on the 96's cause the 96's have way less pressure on them.

When I had mine done only 1 out of 5 dealers around here use them, the other four still puts in the INA's on the 96's since they have the newer style bearings in them any way..

Plus I called An Andrews tech and was told if I ordered the cam bearings from them they would be the INA's.

Have 20k on mine since the 26h's were installed and they've been great...

As far as Ur motor being used for (Jake Breaking) or decompression when U let off, A good fuel tuner and a dyno will fix that.. I had that at first after the cams, but had the tuner dial it in better.. all good after that..

I agree most bolt in cams make a big difference

also look in the STICKY threads on the first page of our softail area..
There'a s Thread just for "DYNO's" if U ever do one put it in there, or if U want to look up what others have done and got from their results,, its a good thread to help...

Quick Reply: Andrews 48h Cams