Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
wiktor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw the shock all the way in till it stops to start, have the maximum amount of threads exposed, then start backing it out.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM
kevmiami
Tourer

Great thread, thank you - will add it to my book of good advice. Does anybody have a feel if by adjusting the preload, how much does this change the height of the frame (i.e. when you sit on a bike with more preload, it should sink less initially, impacting your ground clearance. Thanks again, Kevin.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
cmosentine
Tourer
Default Got it.

Wanted to post back to describe how I went about adjusting my rear shocks. The problem was I had no idea what they were set at as I had recently bought this bike used. To compound the issue, the jam nut and adjustment plate would barely turn.

The first thing I did was to spray the front of the shock with wd-40 and let it sit for a day, then hit it again. To loosen the jam nut I discovered that the spanner wrench you use to move the adjuster plate also fits the jam nut. I used the wrench and a mallet to give it a quick pop to break it free. I did this on both shocks. Not the best method but it works.

I then tried to turn the adjuster plate with the spanner. At first it would not budge but after a minute of trying it also broke free and began to turn easily. I then proceeded to turn both adjuster plates clockwise until they bottomed out. The shaft now is showing the maximum number of threads and is now at the LOWEST setting. I applied anti-seize paste to the threads so in the future I will not have such a hard time. I also applied some paint to the bottom of each shock as a reference. I then turned each shock one full turn counterclockwise. This should now be at the "second setting". To finish I ran the jam nut back and forth making sure some of the anti-seize got into the nut's threads.

IMHO, the problem I has has to due to the fact the the adjuster plate and jam nut face forward taking all the grit and water. Hopefully the anti-seize will help.

Last edited by cmosentine; 08-01-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosentine

IMHO, the problem I has has to due to the fact the the adjuster plate and jam nut face forward taking all the grit and water. Hopefully the anti-seize will help.
+1 Great design.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wiktor
Screw the shock all the way in till it stops to start, have the maximum amount of threads exposed, then start backing it out.
Exactly.
When you know both shocks are turned as far as they will go put a white fwd/aft stripe on the bottom of each one. Then you can keep track of how many turns you are applying to each shock. If you finish adjusting them and you decide on either fully to the soft or firm setting, turn each shock back just a hair so it doesn't jam into place. This way they wont be frozen in place and require a lot of torque to break loose next time you adjust them.
Tom

Old 08-18-2011, 05:15 PM
INTHERED
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dorkman
If you are adjusting for a heavier weight (stiffer ride):
A. Continue to turn the adjuster nut counterclockwise (the nut will move towards the front of the bike) until it stops.
B. Now using the spanner wrench, turn the adjuster plate counterclockwise no more than 4 complete turns. Count the number of times the white mark crosses the 6 o’clock position.
I plan on adjusting my shocks this weekend. Iam the lazy type and since its so hot I just want set it for max weight as easy as possible. Do I really need to know where my shocks are set at before I count turns ? If I don't count anything and just turn it counterclockwise until it stops turning will I be at 4 turns or will I damage the shock ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered

Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 PM
cmosentine
Tourer

Can't say if it would damage the shock, but I never like to run anything turned out to lock. I always back things off a bit.

Originally Posted by INTHERED
I plan on adjusting my shocks this weekend. Iam the lazy type and since its so hot I just want set it for max weight as easy as possible. Do I really need to know where my shocks are set at before I count turns ? If I don't count anything and just turn it counterclockwise until it stops turning will I be at 4 turns or will I damage the shock ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered

Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by INTHERED

Thanks >>>> Inthered
It wont damage the shock.
When you adjust the shocks all the way one direction or the other, they tend to somewhat stick in place, so just barely back them off or the next time you decide to adjust them it may be harder to break them loose. It's the same with the retention nuts. I tighten them just a bit beyond snug, with no Loctite applied, or they are also hard to break loose next time.
The first time is a PITA, after that it's quick and simple whenever you adjust the shocks.
My SE Fat Boy is lowered in the rear, so I have less clearance to work under it.
I never have used my lift. I lay on my side and adjust them while the bike is on the jiffy stand.
My SE Fat Boy comes with the low profile shocks, so my measurements will be different then a regular model.
Here's the measurements I took:
With me sitting on the bike (190lbs)
Softest to firmest setting raises the bike .9"
With no one on the bike
Softest to firmest setting raises the bike .4"
I took the measurements with the bike level, from the end of the rear fender to the ground. It was 12.95 softest and 13.35 firmest with no one on the bike. Then with my 190 lbs on the seat it was 12.3 softest and 13.2 firmest.
Tom

Last edited by tmitchellof PG; 08-19-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Shocks

Why do they make it so hard to do and understand how to do it? Been thinking and trying to adjust "09 Heritage shocks for several months and know I will have to visit dealer $$ & take a chance.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Sagexpman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CMOS, What was the result of the ride after your adjustment? better worse?

Quick Reply: Adjusting the rear shocks