Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Ride With New Parts

Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default First Ride With New Parts

Over the winter I added a pile of new parts to my Lo. Carlini 14" Sweeping Apes, Progressive Monotubes in the front end, all new Magnum cables, blacked out the front end, new wrinkle black covers for the tranny, primary and cam covers plus new derby and timer covers, new avon grips, axle covers and a full set of polished stainless 12 point bolts. The bike looks awesome now and I'll post up some pics soon.

Performance-wise.... those monotubes were a very pleasant surprise. We have some pretty rough roads around here and they took a lot of the jarring away from the front end and the nose dive when braking has been dramatically improved. The bars are going to take some getting use to and if I were to do it again, I'd probably go with 12's. I do not like the low speed turning with apes..... scared the **** outta me for the first bit yesterday but by the end of the day I was pretty comfortable with them. You definitely have to move your torso a lot more when moving at slow speeds to make up for the wider bars and the height.

From what I've read on this forum, I was worried that after changing out both the upper and lower brake lines the bike was going to throw a code for the ABS. I had no blinky ABS lights or engine lights anywhere and I bled the system as I would for any car or bike using my mini-vac. I thought I was going to have to pay the stinking dealership $200 to clear codes with their Digital Technician but thankfully that problem was avoided.

Overall she was a good day and I have to say, my favorite performance mod was the Monotubes.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:53 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Berick
I thought I was going to have to pay the stinking dealership $200 to clear codes with their Digital Technician but thankfully that problem was avoided.
You can clear codes yourself...

Press and hold TRIP, while holding it turn on the ignition.
The bike enters diagnostics mode on the speedo display ["DIAG"]
You can cycle through the three "modules" by single-clicks on TRIP - the three modes are ECM, BCM and SPDO.
As you cycle through them, each mode will appear with a "Y" or a "N" besides each mode.
eg:
ECM N
BCM N
SPDO N

If a "Y" appears, that means you have codes present in that module:
eg:
ECM N
BCM Y
SPDO N

In that example, there are codes present on the BCM module.
When you are in that module [BCM Y], press and HOLD TRIP to display the code(s)
Single-clicking TRIP will cycle through them if there are more than one.
While the numeric codes are visible (any one, doesn't matter), press and hold TRIP again until you see CLEAR.

You codes should now be cleared, and all modules should register "N", like in the first example above...

Many tuners these days also give you this ability.
I have a Vance & Hines FuelPak3 which when connected allows me to not only see the codes on my smartphone, with their corresponding description of what they actually mean (very handy) but it also lets me clear them with one click...
Hope this helps.

Last edited by jam436; 04-18-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Berick
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jam436
You can clear codes yourself...

Press and hold TRIP, while holding it turn on the ignition.
The bike enters diagnostics mode on the speedo display ["DIAG"]
You can cycle through the three "modules" by single-clicks on TRIP - the three modes are ECM, BCM and SPDO.
As you cycle through them, each mode will appear with a "Y" or a "N" besides each mode.
eg:
ECM N
BCM N
SPDO N

If a "Y" appears, that means you have codes present in that module:
eg:
ECM N
BCM Y
SPDO N

In that example, there are codes present on the BCM module.
When you are in that module [BCM Y], press and HOLD TRIP to display the code(s)
Single-clicking TRIP will cycle through them if there are more than one.
While the numeric codes are visible (any one, doesn't matter), press and hold TRIP again until you see CLEAR.

You codes should now be cleared, and all modules should register "N", like in the first example above...

Many tuners these days also give you this ability.
I have a Vance & Hines FuelPak3 which when connected allows me to not only see the codes on my smartphone, with their corresponding description of what they actually mean (very handy) but it also lets me clear them with one click...
Hope this helps.
Yes, I have a Powervision so I know about clearing codes etc but there have been quite a few say that they had ABS lights flashing after flushing their brakes and they had to take them in as their programmers would not keep the codes clear. I'm guessing they must have had air trapped in the ABS unit or something.