Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb is driving me CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
livetoofast
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb is driving me CRAZY!

Ok ... i need some help here and i dont want to take my bike to the dealership to get it diagnosed if i dont need to. I think the problem is in the carb. It has a nasty "cough"(a sort of spit/crack of air out of the carb). The cough happens more at lower rpm but does happen at every range. I have a highflow K&N and screaming eagle slip ons. I have installed the Thunderslide kit and a friend said it could have even been the VOSE valve so i replaced that and yet it still happens. ITS DRIVING ME NUTS !! How am i supposed to enjoy riding my bike when this pisses me off to the point i dont want to ride it. Anyone have any advice or suggestions ???

Old 08-15-2011, 04:23 PM
spdmtlrcng
Advanced

I ran into the same thing last night on my 05NT. Basically it jumped and popped while accelerating. Awesome sounding but riding sucked. My carb knowledge is extremely limited but I took it off the intake and sprayed the hell out of the carb and filter with cleaner. Then adjusted it to run high and left it for about 5min then adjusted to where I ride it on. Everything is cool now. Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

When you put the Thunderslide in, did you change jets? You should have a 48 pilot and a 190 main for starters, a/f screw 2 1/2 turns out from bottomed out. If you're using the dynojet adjustable needle, the e-clip should be on the 4th groove from the top. Go here for more info on carb tuning or google keihin carb tuning.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Wild Grover
Cruiser

Its lean. Either up the slow jet or open the screw or pull that kit out and make a few simple adjustments and you're good.......

Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
livetoofast
Novice

Harry i changed the jets and put a 185 in. I believe the piolet jet is stock as far as i know ....the air fuel screw i think is out 3 turns and the E-clip is on the 3rd groove ... thats what the instructions ask to start at .... maybe i should try it on the 4th groove

Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkingharry
When you put the Thunderslide in, did you change jets? You should have a 48 pilot and a 190 main for starters, a/f screw 2 1/2 turns out from bottomed out. If you're using the dynojet adjustable needle, the e-clip should be on the 4th groove from the top. Go here for more info on carb tuning or google keihin carb tuning.
There you go... letting out all the carb secrets in one post.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

The stock pilot jet is a 45,you'll need the 48 pilot jet, e-clip on the 4th groove to get rid of that coughing at low rpm's. When you reinstall the rubber diaphragm and put the cap back on, you can check the seal of the diaphragm by lifting the slide up with your finger. You should hear a soild sucking sound when you do that or the diaphragm isn't seated properly.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
livetoofast
Novice

Thanks man! im going to get a 48 piolet jet and move the e-clip one groove like you said. Im excited to ride my bike while its hiccupping all over the place lol .. I appreciate it!

Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

45 pilot is what im running in my evo 80 inch, i think my 45 pilot is a touch lean in my motor so i know its got to be pretty lean in your twincam.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
livetoofast
Novice

BLOB i have a 80" evo too.... Harry i moved the e-clip today and it made it a hell of alot better ... dealership closed today before i could get there to get the piolet jet... i so i think once i get that it will clear up completely..... any idea on how to adjust my VOES valve bacck to stock setting ??

Quick Reply: Carb is driving me CRAZY!