Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Softail Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.

P

Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Prospect
Default Lowering a 1992 Heritage Softail with a Progressive drop in Kit

Ok, I spent over 1 hr searching the forum for a good how to pictures and instructions thread on installing a Progressive Drop in Kit for my 1992 Heritage Softail. I want to Drop my front end by 2 inches. Does anyone have pictures of step by step instructions on how to do this? How about a thread that i might have missed for this Softail?
My other question is, do I wait untill I have the rear lowering Shot Gun Shock kit before I do the front or can you do the front first without screwing things up? Is it wise to do both at the same time?
Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Road Warrior
jreichart

Check out youtube, they usually have some pretty decent videos on this stuff. As for whether to do both at the same time, the answer is yes. It's usually OK to lower the rear without the front, but a bad idea to lower the front without the rear. It has to do with changing the trail measurement which is a vital part of the handling and stability of the bike.

'05 'Train FXSTBI - decked heads .036, ported, Crane 310-2 cams, 150 fat front, exile pipes, lowered 2", coil relocation, Todds Cycle 10" chubbys, foot clutch/jockey shift, pro 1 0* trees, Grip Ace, Exile internal throttle, homemade rocker box speedo relo, blackline dash, and lots of black!.HP = 81.94 TQ = 93.72.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreichart View Post
Check out youtube, they usually have some pretty decent videos on this stuff. As for whether to do both at the same time, the answer is yes. It's usually OK to lower the rear without the front, but a bad idea to lower the front without the rear. It has to do with changing the trail measurement which is a vital part of the handling and stability of the bike.
I was on you tube as well last night, even on progressives Channel..nothing came up that is the same as my Softail Heritage. Looks like i cant go low untill i either:

A: Just buy the Shotgun Kit
B: Get some progressive 422's and use those for now.

Mike
Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Sponsor

WARG has pics on his blog I believe. http://chasinwhitelines.blogspot.com/

Drew
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Road Warrior
jreichart

You can lower the rear with the cheapo bolts too. I did mine, and it rides fine to me. It's a good enough solution to hold you over till you get the shotguns or 422's.

'05 'Train FXSTBI - decked heads .036, ported, Crane 310-2 cams, 150 fat front, exile pipes, lowered 2", coil relocation, Todds Cycle 10" chubbys, foot clutch/jockey shift, pro 1 0* trees, Grip Ace, Exile internal throttle, homemade rocker box speedo relo, blackline dash, and lots of black!.HP = 81.94 TQ = 93.72.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Rider

if you have a 21 up front with a 2 inch drop you will be ok without doing the rear thats what i just did it leveled it out
Old 08-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin View Post
if you have a 21 up front with a 2 inch drop you will be ok without doing the rear thats what i just did it leveled it out
I might just pull the trigger on a set of 422's to tide me over, I hate spending that much cash when you can save for the real deal

Drew, i searched his Blog, where is it?

Mike
Old 08-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Club Member

Phew,,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U Cal-la-fornians.. are in a rush.....

To do it right it seems like U need the Air system and front springs..

read a little more...

Us Mid Easteners haven't gone that far Yet..
Best Bike I've ever owned...
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Prospect

I am still trying to find someone who lowered their early Softail in the front with a Drop in kit, like from 1992-99. Has anyone ever done this before? Pictures? Anything at all? I added the rear 422 shocks on tonight along with the new rims and tires. Tomorrow is the front end and this Drop in kit.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Prospect

Just to confirm, I have to remove the front fender, calipers, wheel, etc to drop the tubes down below the tripple tree right?

Mike
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM

P